Stopping Zopiclone Cold Turkey

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been taking Zopiclone for less than a year and after reading all the side effects of this drug I've decided to stop taking it immediately.   To give you a little background I was on clonazepan for over 5 years and when my doctor retired my new doctor said I should get off of it and try Zopiclone which is less addictive.  I took her advice and have been on Zopiclone for less than a year.  As of recent I've found that this drug is giving me anxiety and feelings of depression. My mind is constantly spinning and I have a hard time focusing and relaxing.  My question is do you think that this is related to Zopiclone?  Anyhow I've not taken it for two nights now.  Last night was horrible because I did not sleep at all.  Please anybody help?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,  do you live in the UK or the USA, I was on Zoppp for not sleeping and then I starting to buy off the internet, I decided to stop after not feeling right all the time, I told my UK GP everything and she helped me from the start, I reduced my pill from 1 X 7.5 to 1 X 3.75 and then slowly down too cutting them half so 1 X 1.9mg a night, I feel great now, if I stop I dont get a good sleep so Im fine, my doctor is happier.

you can just stop taking them cold turkey, OMG NO, you heen help to come off them, you need to talk to someone.

They will make you feel bad, depressed and in another world and thats just 1 a night, theres no way you should be taking to relax or in the morning, your doctor would if needed give you something else for the anxiety , you need to stop the morning ones asap and talk to someone, I wuld start taking it tonight and in a week or so cut it down and down over the weeks or months

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice. It was very thoughtful of you to write me. So I am going to proceed as you are saying. Cut out the one at the end the day today to Get rid of anxiety. Then slowly drop my sleeping dose down. The real killer is the anxiety panic attack I get at the end of the day which I think is my body craving one of these hills.

Well, it's not going to be easy but I will keep you updated and thank you so much for your caring.

• Posted

I recently came off Xanax. 6 week taper. Last night was my final dose.

But I am Zopiclone. Been on it for 6 weeks, initially 2-3 times a week, then after 3 weeks every other night. Last night was the first time I had two nights in a row. My dosage it up to 15 grams for 2 nights; before that it was 7.5+one tablet cut in half. It seems to lose its efficacy quickly.

Do I need to taper off after this short a period of time?

Or taper?

My GP is unsure.

• Posted

Side effects are particular to particular people. What i mean is not everyone will experience the same solutions and problems with a type of medication, everyone is different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.