Stopting steroids

Posted , 6 users are following.

Could any one help me, I have been taking Prednisilone 60mg for 3 days as a precautionary measure, can i just stop taking this drug if no longer needed or does it have to be taper Ed Off?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

60 mg is a hugh dose...you need to speak about discontinuing with the physician who prescribed it.
  • Posted

Hi jean, I agree with the others who have posted.  It would be best to consult your physician.  Being on steroids means that your body stops making them itself so  slow withdrawal helps the body to start making them again a little at a time.Good luck.
  • Posted

If you were just given them for 3 days and now have been told you don't need them then it is perfectly safe to stop - or, if you were normally at a lower steady regular dose you go back to that dose. 

But you must be under a doctor to have been taking that?

• Posted

The adrenal glands release corticosteroid. When we ingest steroid, our adrenal glands go on holiday...

So when we cease ingesting steroids, the adrenal glands may continue on holiday...and the body will protest in many ways.

This is why many advocate slowly withdrawing steroids so that the adrenal glands will be encouraged, nudged into producing corticosteroid to replace the steroid no longer being ingested.

The short answer depends upon...

how long one has been on steroids

what dosage of steroid was used

The higher the dose for the longer time will take longer to reactivate the adrenal glands.

Severe withdrawal symptoms are possible. This is the risk we want to avoid.

I no longer take steroids on a daily basis. If steroid use becomes necessary, I use a burst method....high, fast on...immediate dosage decrease...ofg. Example:

Day 150 mg

Day 245 mg

Day 340 mg

Day 435 mg

Day 530 mg

Day 625 mg

Day 720 mg

Day 815 mg

• Posted

This really isn't necessary if you have only been on pred - whatever the dose - for only 3 days. 

• Posted

You were right Eileen, I stopped the pred and had no adverse reactions having only been on it for 3 days. I am not going to take any more until I have seen the rheumatologist that my doctor has referred me to, see if he or she can shed any light on what is going on. I have had at least 5 tests for rheumatoid arthritis over the years all negative, but I know I have osteoarthritis having already had a joint replacement on my right hand, I have also in the past had treatment for rotator cuff in both arms so it could be a flare up of osteo. What do you Think?
    • Posted

There are a few different forms of arthritis that can appear initially much the same as PMR - I've just been writing about one group on another thread: the spondylarthropathies. It matters that the diagnosis is right because they all respond better to other medications and the progression of the disease is slowed or even stopped - PMR doesn't progress in that sense, it doesn't cause joint or organ damage whereas some of the others can. The differential dx is something no GP is capable of making - they'd be rheumies if they had that sort of background! 

How long must you wait to see the rheumy?

• Posted

PS - now you can catch up on the sleep you missed!!!!
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Eileen, i really appreciate it. My appointment is for 20th Jan so that isn't long really. The doctor still wants me to take 20 mg per day of pred, but I am very loathe to do this as the last dosage did not do anything for my muscle pain and totally kept me awake. I know prednisone is a life saver for some people and they cannot do without it but it is a powerful drug to be treated with respect and I feel I would be taking it for nothing. I don't like to go against what the doctor wants, I just hope I am doing the right thing.

• Posted

As long as you aren't having any signs of GCA then I think it is reasonable - if you were then your GP should be sending you to the hospital as an emergency with a letter clutched in your sweaty little paw and not giving you 20mg which is the PMR dose and won't necessarily stop GCA. I had PMR for 5 years without pred - I didn't crumble.

• Posted

Yes I agree, if it is PMR then I could certainly live with it as it is, without any medication I would rather live with the discomfort of the pains than have insomnia, how can it possibly do you any good to get no Sleep! Of course GCA is a big worry, but again I have been getting side headaches for about 6 years now, also been blood tested before with negative infammation, so I will take the chance and see what transpires with the rheumatologist.
    • Posted

Pred has been a godsend to me. Before I took it, I was virtually unable to move, the pain was excruciating, I could not dress, get out of bed or even raise my arms without the pain. Insomnia was a small price to pay to actually being able to live a life again.
    • Posted

Yes as I said Pred is a life saver to a lot of people who's symptoms are severe, but it is a very powerful drug and I do not have a fraction of the pain that you have experienced that is why I don't want to take it unnecessarily, obviously if I have to i will, but how do you cope with the Insomnia?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.