Straight knee

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have noticed that I cannot get my knee straight down yet and am gonna be 10 week’s post op in a few days. I was wondering if I put something under ankle and let leg be straight in free fall will that help?

I have long ways to go yet in being where I was still working on range of motion which isn’t bad, reducing swelling, and straightening.

I am getting along on walks unassisted , stairs moving each leg going up independently so progress is there just not complete.

Any thoughts thanks so much

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

At 13 weeks post-op (end of 10 weeks of PT), I got to -1 / +123.  I'm now 19 months post-op, the knee is at 0 / +133...it does straighten out if you keep working on it.  Gym work helps but here's something for home...

Lie face down on your bed with your knees on the edge of the bed (not over it).  Lower your TKR leg and let it hang over the edge.  That's it...gravity does the rest....it's a law...the leg has to obey it.  Count how long you can let it hang.  Bend your leg up.  Do this at least 5 times.  As you get better at this, you can go longer per rep and increase the reps.  If you feel adventurous, strap on a 2-pound ankle weight.  Only for the brave.

This is like medieval torture...and the leg is just hanging there in space.  But it really does help with the straightening.

• Posted

Hi, my leg was very bent pre surgery. I was told from day one I was to always put a pillow just under my heels to allow the knee to hang. Also to be done whilst sleeping... which I find very uncomfortable. But seems to be working. Good luck.
  • Posted

Pop a pillow just under heel when sitting down with both legs out in front of you.

Sounds like you are doing brilliantly! Keep up the good work! You will look back in a few months time and smile!

• Posted

Thank you everyone for the ideas about how to straighten. I will work on this as I haven’t really focused on getting straight as was primarily working on just ROM but  will concentrate on both. Will begin by putting pillow or I have a cylinder shape exercise thing I could put under heel too and just let leg suspend hoping gravity does indeed do the trick. This is nice as it’s  something I could do with little effort while watching TV everything else is hard to do. ROM is a killer although I do suppose I am getting better.

i do not understand the numbers -1|+123 type thing what do numbers like this mean? I should find out what mine are I guess 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.