Straighten knee after tkr

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am about 6 1/2 weeks out.  Bend is great but need to work on straighting knee.  How long did it take to get it totally straight after surgery?  Just wondering if I am behind.  Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I am just now getting mine straight at 14 weeks
  • Posted

keep working on it straightening is so important to walking without a limp .if the legs not straight you will limp and that causes pain .if your in physio they will help you to get this right if you are not then work hard at it lying on your tummp leaving the leg from the knee down off the end of the bed just let it hang there do it often you could put abit of a weight on the ankle to help it  but as you are only just over 6wks i wouldnt put too much weight on it .the other one is put your leg  up on a chair in front of you leaving the knee between the two chairs its hard at first but keep at it
  • Posted

Getting extension is the hardest and it is very important and may take several weeks. Ideally you would have it by now so keep working hard with PT
  • Posted

Thanks to all of you.  That is kind of what I thought.  I am doing the exercise where you hang the knee over the end of the bed while on my stomach.  Will keep it up even if it is a pain!  I will look at the other one suggested as well. 
  • Posted

Another one is while you are having your leg on a chair, try and put some weight on it. It was suggested to tie oven mitts on a string in between them and put a can of soup in each one and let it hang over the sides. Protect your inciddion though wit a towel or something under the string. Keep at it, you'll get there. 
    • Posted

Thanks.  I must admit it is great to talk to people that are going through the same issues and get advise. 
    • Posted

Anne, that a good suggestion, I have been doing a similar thing with a five pound weight in a plastic bag.  I think it works pretty good, but five minutes is about all I can do with it
  • Posted

You may have something called arthrofibrosis, where too much scar tissue blocks the knee from straightening. That is solved by lysis of adhesion (surgery), and/or manipulation (not a surgery, but you still go under anesthesia). If your knee is missing more than 5 degrees by week 12, then you will probably have to have the arthrofibrosis surgery.
    • Posted

They would normally suggest an MUA first, then if that didn't work you may have to wait for the year anniversary to have the scar tissue removed...as I did.

I wouldn't worry at 6.5 weeks though...but make sure when you are walking that you roll your foot, heel to toe.

• Posted

Don't want any more surgery so going to work real hard to avoid it! 
    • Posted

i had acl surgery (not TKR). maybe thats why the timing of the arthrofibrosis surgery is different. did you have a problem bending or straightening?
    • Posted

My leg got stuck very bent, which meNt that walking was really painful...and I'm in the same position again now.  It's gradually got worse again since I've been back at work.  So, I'm now seeing a pain consultant soon, and trying hydrotherapy today.  This knee has been a nightmare.  If this had been the first one I'd had done, it would have been the last!
  • Posted

The best overall excercise I have ever used is to roll a small towel, lay on my back and put towel under th ankle so the foot is 3-4" off the bed. Tighten the quads and hold for count of 10...repeat 10 's and do a set of 3. This strengthens the quads, stretches the hamstrings and in general builds the entire leg. As you tighten true quads you will automatically feel the back of the knee being forced toward the bed we high is what you want. I this once a day and you can do it couple times if you areup to it and have time. The 1st 3 times I had to rebuild the knee I had difficulty with straight but the last 2 I've had no problem. The last time I was at a 2 3 days after surgery and. 0 within a couple of weeks. Slow and steady. I use Vit E oil on the entire surface of the knee area front and back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.