Strange aggravation of HS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

Im Nick, 30 years old and have hidradenitis ever since I was 20... well, with years of having it under control meanwhile. Smoked for a few years but quit long ago. Normal weight.

Something really strange happened and I wanted to know if this sounds familiar to others..

Fast backwards 10 years : I got hidradenitis. First I thought it was thanks to shaving but as it expanded I knew something was up. Doctors gave me minocycline (no diagnosis tho) which helped while I was on it until the cycle ended.

As I've also had acne at some point I found a new treatment called photodynamic therapy (pdt) for that and started it. It actually helped and fixed my acne or so it looked like it. Funny enough right when i started to see results I've also started taking probiotics (prescript assist) and at the same time my hidradenitis stopped flaring up as well as my facial acne.

From that point on... my hidradenitis simply vanished. I was unaware of hidradenitis and diet and I just continued eating the same crap I've always had.

Fast forward to now.

My diet consisted mainly of soda, take out, pizzas, sometimes bread and whatever our bad western diet comes up with. It wasn't all unhealthy but the amounts of soda, snacks and bad dinners together made it unhealthy.

What the problem now is... since a month I totally changed my diet. I wanted to loose some weight, I wasn't obese, nor overweight but I did have some kilos I wanted to get rid of. So I went on a low carb diet with lots of veggies, some proteins and some healthy fats like olive oil, wild salmon, avocado and coconut.

5 days into this all of a sudden my HS came up. Something I haven't had in literally years straight. Also acne came back but disappeared a week later again. Hs however didn't and developed still.

For a test I switched back to soda.. fries for dinner and some Pringles. A day later? No flare up. That day I ate some snacks.. drank soda.. had a bad dinner.. A day later? No flare ups. That was today. Nothing happened.

Potatoes don't seem to affect... sugars don't seem to affect but daily intake of around 10oz of chicken and sometimes chicken/fish combined with veggies and healthy fats (like 70gr of fat a day) does affect..

Very strange. Anyone recognises this?

Thanks for reading

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ps I took the aip approach when hs flared back up. My day consisted out of upper stated healthy foods for the biggest part. Rest was aip too

• Posted

One of my food sensitivities is coconut. It brings out my HS and palm oil (same family) brings out my cystic acne! I don't eat either now! Sounds like you had some good gut heath going on for a while! Maybe that changed? You're on the right track. Keep a food journal to pinpoint. My other sensitivities are nightshades and nuts.

Good luck!

• Posted

I dont know tbh, used to have IBS-C too but that pretty much is gone for a while already. At least the "C" part and pain. Still not 100%.

Don't think my gut was very healthy with the multiple cans of soda per day and processed foods, probably didn't eat enough of the sensitive foods for it to flare up or can handle a moderate amount of them.

I can't go on like that Because id Definitely develop diabetes that way some day lol. So I need to eat healthy... just odd that ever since my hs flared up. Despite mainly eating lean meat (chicken fish) and lots of veggies.

Hope someone recognizes it and has an answer!

• Posted

same thing is happening with me...pls letme know how u cured it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.