Strange Aura Symptom of Migraine or Not?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I apologize for the long post, but 'have to ask, has anyone ever heard of an aura like this? About a year ago, while I was being treated for BPPV (gone now), when I put the video goggles on, I noticed "spinning little circles" that were white. I thought it was odd, but didn't think much of it at the time. Since then, I have noticed it almost every time I close my eyes, like 80-90% of the time. Sometimes faint, sometimes really clear and obvious. I would describe it as if I was 60 feet away, the spots are about the size of a headlight. And it's only in the 3 dark areas of where I have retinopathy! I haven't mentioned this to any of my doctors, didn't connect it with VM at all until recently. Could they be auras, and does anyone see these if they have retinopathy? That would mean I have auras almost constantly, and that might account for the constant lack of balance. No vertigo. Almost daily I have a vague headache, not sure if it's migraine, but it is always on one side of head. Not my old classic migraines I used to have. Thoughts? Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I also had BPPV--left with being unbalanced--started seeing those same white rings--first in one eye and then in both. I see them even with my eyes open. I do not have retinopathy. I have told my doctor but he doesn't seem to think anything of it. Wondering too what they mean??!?!?
    • Posted

Thanks for replying... do you have migraines and/or ever been diagnosed with migrainous vertigo/imbalance? I am pretty sure that's what it is, and it can be triggered by another verstibular event, such as BPPV, labrynthitis, neuritis, etc. Do you get other auras before a migraine (if you get them)? I think mine is an aura of a migraine on its way. I will mention it to my neurologist when I see him again. 

Do you still see the white circles?

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with BPPV(which is gone) and I have been diagnosed with silent migraines. I don't get the head pain just off balanced 24/7. I have read where people who have had BPPV are still left unbalanced so the silent migraine is "weird" to me since I have never had "head pain". And yes I still see white circles. I wish there was a magic pill to make it all go away...lol. I am interested in what your neurologist will say about the white circles....
    • Posted

Dumb question, but do the circles move and spin? Mine do.

I had never heard that you still feel unbalanced after BPPV. Audiologist that fixed mine seemed to think they were 2 separate issues, and if it is VM, he was right.

I will tell you what I find out in a couple of weeks. If not other interest on this board, I will message you instead.cool

• Posted

Yes they do move and spin!!! I can't believe I've found someone that sees these circles!!!

Yes please let me know what you find out!!

Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.