Strange Bad reaction to trimethoprim !!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Was prescribed these tablets for a suspect UTI that was diagnosed over the phone with the doctor. Had a 7 day course of 2 tablets a day.

Took 2 tablets on the first day (a friday) went to sleep and then woke up the next morning unable to bend my knees. Assumed i had maybe slept funny. Kept taking the tablets but by monday morning my knees were a lot worse, slightly swollen, couldnt get up and down stairs, couldnt kneel on them and they also would give way without warning, basically had to walk with straight legs not good when ive got a 15 month old baby to look after.

Spoke to the doctor and he asked me to go in and he checked my knees and said to continue with the trimethoprim as it could be a secondary infection in my joints which can occur when you get another main infection. He gave me some strong Ibruprofen and some other tablets to take at night to stop the Ibruprofen from causing an ulcer in my stomach. So took these but had to stop as they made me feel nauseaus and very dizzy (later told that this is a common side effect of Ibruprofen). Anyway got to thursday and finished my last 2 tablets. Woke up them Friday morning to absolute agony in my knees, so bad i couldnt even drive the car, which i had been struggling to do as had to run my 4 year old to school everydy etc. Had to get a lift into the doctors and i saw a different one this time and he said that it seemed a very strange coincidence that i got this while taking the tablets and that it was probably an allergic reaction to the tablets. (at this point the UTI hadnt cleared up but did a couple of days later!!!) He sent me for blood tests to make sure that the pain in my knees etc wasnt something else and said that if i was still in paint in a weeks time to go back. Well a week later my knees were 50% less painfull so went back and saw yet another doctor who said my blood test results were ok, so definatly an allergic reaction and would make a note on my file not to prescribe again. He said that it could take a while for my knees to come right. well its not 7 weeks later and they still aint 100% right. They still ache when i get up, hurt when i kneel on them and lock when i stand in 1 position for a while, like when im washing the dishes etc. They are also still giving way occassionally. They feel incrediably week, like ive lost all my muscle round my knees so guess when the pain is a little better ill have to start doing some exercises to strengthen them up again.

Had a quick read through the other posts on here and cant see anyone else having the same reaction to these tablets so thought id post and maybe help someone else out :?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just been prescribed trimethoprim for UTI. Never had them before, as I've always been prescribed flagyll. After reading patients experiences. I won't take the chance of going through with the course of antibiotics. I'm going to go back to the doctors for another antobiotics and in the meantime I'll be drinking plenty of cranberry juice [/b]
  • Posted

My mother was prescribed trimethoprim for a UTI & as soon as she took the first tablet in the evening she became very ill & worried. she was unable to sleep with severe pain in her legs & joints & found it difficult to walk to the bathroom. after taking her second tablet, the pains got worse & spread to her arms & neck, she also lost balance & had no appetite.

Thinking that it was the infection that was causing the problem she continued taking the tablets but the symptoms / side effects continued, so after 5 tablets she has decided to stop the coarse. we will waite to see if the pains disappear & her appetite returns.

Thanks for your post!

• Posted

I won't be taking these again as they caused me so much distress! :shock: :cry: :oops:
  • Posted

I can totally relate to this. I have had the exact same reaction and am so glad i'm not the only one. My doctors had dismissed these antibiotics as the cause of my knee, joint problems despite my telling them that before this I was a healthy 35 year old. I would love to know how you are feeling now???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.