Strange bump above the belly button after gallbladder removal

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello I was wondering if anyone noticed a strange bump above the belly button after the gallbladder removal. When I look at the mirror sideways I see a bump I know I did not have before. I thought it was inflammation from the incision, But it has been 1 week and I am concerned that bump is still there and it is also a little hard. I have the robotic laparoscopy so I only had 1 incition in the belly button. I have been ok until today and then I started experiencing some pain in my upper abdomen kind of like heartburn but not sure it that is really it. It just a very uncomfortable feeling like if I was very full and it is tender and sensitive to the touch. I do not think this is gas from the surgery anymore. Has anyone feel this ???

4 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

try and lie down and see if you can still feel the lump. it could be a hernia,i had a hard lump and went to hospital and kept telling them to examine the lump when standing but they kept getting me to lie down for examinatiion and lump dissapeard. i went to gp two days later and she said its a herinia. i'v not had gall bladder removed yet. but be very carefull do not lift any thing heavy as all that area is diseasesd and can easily tear. that what happend to me. maybe someon else will come along and tell you something aobut themself, but i had exact same experienne.good luck.
    • Posted

Hi cheeky, I did what you said and I do not see the lump when Iying down, and it feels softer. So if I understand correctly you are saying that hernias can only be felt when standing up? My lump does not hurt , but I am still soar in the belly bottom area from the surgery anyway, so it is hard to tell. How did you get your hernia. How do they treat it?
    • Posted

I HAVE NOT HAD MY GALL BLADDER REMOVED YET AND I HAD THAT TERRIBLE PAIN AND TENDERNESS TO THE TOUCH. IV NOT HAD THE HERINA SORTED EITHER I THINK I GOT THE HERINA STRETCHING UP AND CARRYING HEAVY BADS. SO DO NOT LIFT ANY THING HEAVIER THAN A CUP OF TEA. I GOT PAIN KILLERS FROM THE DOCTOR WHICH HAVE HELPED ME A LOT.THERE ARE HERINAS THAT CAN BE FELT BY LYING DOWN BUT THAT IS A BAD SIGN. SO IF IT DISSAPEARS LYING DOWN ITS A GOOD SIGN MY DOCTOR TOLD ME AS IF IT DOES NOT GO AWAY WHEN LYING DOWN IT SOMETIHING LIKE A STRANGLUTALED HERNIA WHICH CAN WRAP ITS WAY AROUND YOUR BOWLEL I READ ALL THE POST HERE AND ON GOOGLE SITES AS WELL AND MOST PEOPLE WITH GALL BLADDER TROUBLE SEEM TO GET HERINIAS . I ASKED MY DOCTOR WHY THAT WAS AND SHE SAYS THAT UNDER THE SKIN THERE IS A MESH LIKE MATERERIAL THAT HOLDS ALL OUR MUSCLES IN PLACE. AND WHEN WE GET ILL WITH GALL BLADDER BY THE TIME WE GET SYMPTOMS WE ARE QUITE DISEASED AND THE FLESH IS EASILY TORN . SO WE NEED TIME TO MEND. LAST WEEK I READ OF A WOMAN COMING HOME FROM HOSPITAL STRETCHED OVER TO OPEN THE CAR DOOR AND GOT A HERNIA. SO NO STRETCHING OR LIFTING FOR A GOOD FEW MONTHS. IM NOT AN EXPEPERT BY ANY MEANS BUT THATS MY ADVICE FROM WHAT I'V EXPERIENCED AND READ. IM SO SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING. I HOPE THIS HELPS. AND GET WELL SOON.AND COME BACK AND TELL US ALL HOW WELL YOU ARE. WE ARE ALWAYS HERE FOR YOU. ANYTIME. LOVE CHEEKLY ❤️🌹
  • Posted

I agree with Cheeky. It sounds like a hernia. As far as you describing the tenderness to the touch. Sounds like a skin sensitivity. Sometimes as the scar tissues are forming from the incision, that can cause discomfort. It would be a good idea to call and address this with the doctor, as they may need to see if everything looks ok. Best wishes & prayers your way my friend.
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed and i have the same lump above my belly button. Did you have urs glued?
  • Posted

I still hv the hard lump after removed GB 10 months ago.. few months ago it start giving me uncomfortable.. doctor said maybe is a small hernia or adhesion. Next week i will go for a laparoscopic abdominal diagnosis. Good luck for me.
  • Posted

My daughter has the bump akso. Its been 5days for her however she doesn't hurt there. U may want to calk ur dr. And speak with them. If u have a fever or it hurts more everyday go to er immediately. 

• Posted

Hello, im not sure why but i had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery, and i have a lump on my belly button. I went to a doctor and he said i was just "possibly" alergic to the glue. Only the bump is under my skin, large, and is not going away. Its hard to the touch, hurts when touched, and also doesnt go away when I lie down. Im not sure what my next step should be.

• Posted

i had laproscopic gallbladder surgery several years ago, i also noticed a hard knot above my bellybutton. as time went by it kept getting bigger. Finally went to dr and it in fact was a hernia. so after a few months, i began to get sick and throwing up. the hernia had increased in size. i went to er and i had not 1, but 2 hernias. the second one was my colon sticking out. i had to have double hernia surgery and ive not had any more problems

• Posted

I had gal bladder surgery 4 years ago. Not to long afterwards i started noticing a small lump in my belly above my belly button. Now 3 years later, its not one hernia, but 2 abdominal hernias. Dr told me the hernia is from the gall bladder surgery. My question to whoever is the past 2 days there are 2 knots inside of the hernia. I don't know what. It is. But I've been sick and doing alot of coughing. So haven't been able to see the surgeon. Anyone know what this could be?

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago, but notice a lumpor ball where the larger incision was made. I don't know what it is, hopefully just scar tissue and not a hernia. Seeing surgeon again in 2 weeks. Hopefully this is normal

• Posted

Hello Marie I have the same issue a hard lump or ball came up beneath the larger incision after gallbladder surgery 9 days ago now. Did you talk to your surgeon what did he/she say? Is this normal? Did yours ever go away?

• Posted

Hey I had my gallbladder removed a little over 2 weeks ago and I've noticed a hard lump on the bottom inside part of my belly button where the incision was made ..... it doesn't pertrude out and isn't noticeable to the eye really and isn't tender or painful just a little worried because I don't know what it is... I'm hoping just like scar tissue or something like that and not a hernia... plus don't know all the details of the surgery so didn't know if maybe it was hardened due to the dr reinforcing my bellybutton incision somehow... was just hoping someone could tell me what it may be

• Posted

HELLO I HAVE SAME QUESTION. A LUMP/ BUMP APPEARED AFTER MY GALL BLADDER SURGERY. I TOO THOUGHT IT WAS SWOLLEN FROM SURGERY BUT I HAD MY SURGERY 4/30/2019 AND ITS STILL THERE. I AM GOING TO CONTACT MY SURGEON OR GASTRO DOCTOR AND FIND OUT WHAT IT IS.

• Posted

i just had the same surgery two weeks ago, i literally just found the same thing, i can only feel it when i press right above my belly button. it hurts a little but isn't poking out . i do however get these really sharp almost lightning bolt shooting pains either in my belly button or on the inside like phantom pains . they only last a few seconds but man do they hurt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.