Strange bump on thumb joint

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've noticed a strange bump on the inside of my upper thumb joint on both hands. It's not a different coolr or painful, and it's hard and does not move. it almost feels like it's simply part of the bone, but it's definately new. When you look at my thumb straight down at the knukle, it's a very visible bump. I'm pretty sure it's not a ganglion because it's not at all moveable. I don't have arthritis and I'm only in my late 20's. I jsut find it really baffling that it seems to have appeared from nowhere and I can't find anything related to in online.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello from Minnesota USA,

I guess you are my new friend in that we share a common enemy.  I have the same issue, maybe.  I first noticed mine about 6-9 months ago.  What has helped the most is vitiman C, at least 2000 mg/day, and any other immune support I have.  I use B complex and zinc.  I have been seen several times and many lab tests (blood) were done, nothing conclusive.  The first thing they had me try is to control it with Ibuprofen.  You might try this as well.  Consult your pharmacist for dosing.  If it works then you and I probably do not have the same thing as anti- inflammatories do not seem to help.

When I told the Doctors that Ibuprofen did not help they still beleive that anti-inflammatorie are what is needed so they gave me a 6 day dose pack of steriods, Prednisolone, and 15 mg Meloxicam (anti-inflammatory) for 30 days.  I have 5 days left, not helping yet.  This was prescribed after it was determined that I did not that Rheumatoid Arthritis, (blood work) although it looks just like it.  Also checked for gout etc., Nothing.  They took X-rays of my hand, normal.  Does not show up on the x-ray at all.  When you see my hand the bumps are obvious and, as you say hard as bone,  but invisible on x-ray.

I should mention here that mine has shown up on other sites.  It started on right index finger, then right thumb,  then left hand and elbow,  also some times have "tightness" in tendons near the affected joints.  I am sure that I would have swelling, pain and limited mobility by now if the Vitiman C had not helped midigate the progression. (I initally thought it was infection and started taking 2000mg/day, infection has been ruled out too.)  I found you as the result of an internet search because I can't get a satisfactory answer.  So far anything I've found that even sounds close are treated with anti inflamatory drugs.  Sarcoidosis sounds close and may use different anti inflamatories than the ones I have tried.  I think I will talk to my doctor about that.  Get well soon!

• Posted

update:  15mg meloxicam per day for 30 days did nothing.  Now trying 750 mg twice per day for 15 days, 5 days in and it seems to be help.  Although it is bone like the doctor says it is infalmation.  The idea is to use anti-inflamitories to knock it down in the hope that it will not return.
  • Posted

WHHOPS I should have said; 750 mg nabumetone twice per day.
  • Posted

Ceruleankat and Dawinna -  I noticed my daughter had the same thing when she was in her teens on both thumb knuckles.  She was texting a lot on her phone. 

Clearly, that intense prolonged position of the bent thumbs moving rapidly in short confined motions put stress on the joints.  This, in my humble opinion, caused the bumps to appear.  A form of early arthitis is my guess. Here's why.  I now have the same thing - but only on my right thumb knuckle.

It's a bump with slight pain.  I play flute, having taken it up again seriously about two years ago, and I play every day for at least an hour.  The right hand position keeps the thumb tightly bent and stressed (it supports 1/2 the flute pushing forward) and it is stressed while the left hand pushes back against it. 

I already have a callus on my left hand where the flute rests, which is fine, it's just a callus.  This tells me that the bump which developed on my right knuckle is the result of stress on the joint. 

For you two, I think you should look at what you do with that knuckle which has the bump, and why it might be stressed.  If you can - change this behavior.  I can't, unfortunately.  I won't give up flute. I will see if other flutists have this problem.

Thanks for sharing your situation. 

Rgds,

Mike

• Posted

I just developed a hard painful bump on my right thumb (knuckle). It feels very hard like b bone. I also play the flute -- have played for 50 years but have been playing even more recently since becoming unemployed. I cannot imagine not playing. The pain is no worse while I play, but the pain is always there. 

Did yours resolve or are you still dealing with it?

Thanks- Carol

• Posted

If you still have the lump, I would definitely ask for a scan and an xray before dosing up on anti-inflammatories - which aren't good if used long term without good reason. Hopefully, you've already had it sorted. (I came across this when I was looking for something similar).

• Posted

I just noticed a few days ago there have a a bump on my thumb I don't know what it is, there's no pain and I can still move my thumb I just wondering if I should go see the doctor or would it go away by itself

• Posted

I have the same type of bump you described. I am in my late 40s and use a cell phone a bit (texting maybe 30-45 min a day).

I was thinking maybe its the beginning of rheumetoid arthritis. I went to the dermatologist for another issue, but I asked about the bumps on both thumbs. He said it is a definitely a callous from too much pressure from a repetitive motion. He said a using text on a cell phone could cause it especially how I hold the phone.

He recommended Mediplast which is over the counter. He said to cut a piece to fit and hold it on with a bandaid and keep it on for approx. 30 days. As the bandaids w. the Mediplast fall off, just keep replacing it for about 30 days......he said the callous will go away.

I really thought it was a bone spur (because it did not move like a ganglion cyst) and it was hard to the touch.

I will try this remedy and report back, but thought I would post this for anyone who is worried about other illnesses. It may be something else, but it also may just be a callous..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.