Strange CFS and sleep observation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All

I've been diagnosed with CFS along with Fibromyalgia for about 2 years now, and my conditions have meant that I am pretty much housebound. My conditions also seem to affect my digestive system quite badly, giving me what feels like constant IBS-C symptoms, bloating, burping, stomach gurgling and churning, nausea and lightheadedness, although the severity of these symptoms are usually mild to moderate.

I have noticed something very strange concerning my sleep patterns and how they influence my general health the following day. The night before last I must have had a good eight hours straight sleep, however I felt absolutely awful throughout yesterday. Last night I must have only had five and a half hours sleep maximum, yet I feel so much better, more refreshed and alert, not so fuzzy, wobbly and ill. This isn't the first time I've noticed it either, everytime I sleep for 7 hours or more a night, I always seem to feel really ill the next morning, yet if I have a shorter amount of sleep during the night and maybe have the odd power nap or two during the day, my body seems to react much better.

I just thought it very strange that this should be the case, and thought I'd let you all know. I'd be really interested to know if any of you fellow CFS sufferers experience anything similar.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you tried changing your diet?

Does your fibro effect you more on say the right side?

I wouldn't pay to much attention to the guidelines that state people should have 8 hours plus sleep not every one is the same this is just another simple way health care providers operate.

If you can sleep for 7 hours at night then do that if you feel best that way.

There is a lot of people that over sleep and feel as you did but they think they did not get enough sleep which is not true and then you have others that may need 10 hours anymore then this is not good unless you are truly ill.

• Posted

Hi millerjones,

Just curious as to what you see as "truly ill" ? As I see having cfs/me as being truly ill and for many it doesn't matter how many hours sleep they get.

Beverley

• Posted

I’ve tried changing my diet many times, however it’s only recently that I’ve discovered I have food intolerances. I’ve been leaving out suspect foods and as such, have seen a slight improvement in some of my digestive issue, but still some way to go. My Fibromyalgia tends to hurt my shoulders, neck, back and tops of my legs, however it is not related to anyone particular side. I have discovered my digestive system feels better in the morning if I wake up on my left side, if I wake up on my right side I suffer acid reflux type symptoms most of the day, I thought that pretty strange.

i would like to know, as Beverley has asked, what you mean by the phrase ‘truly ill’?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.