Strange chest feeling when breathng

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Two days ago I started getting a weird feeling in my chest when breathing in. It's at the top and in the middle. Could this be a something to do with my colitis or the medication ( Asocol 3 daily ). 

I have had this before about 6 weeks ago and ended up in hospital having various scans and antibiotics. Nothing showed and they put it down to a chest infection but I thought it may be the side effects of the tablets I was on which they have now switched to Asocol. I've been on these since I left hospital and they appear to be working well other than this.

Has anyone else had this feeling? 

Thank you

Ashley

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Again Ashley smile

Well, I had those strange feelings in my chest about 2-3 weeks after starting to take  Mesalazine . (at the stage I was taking the Mesevant brand) I had a lot of other symptoms too including feeling like a I had a fever (sweats, chills e.t.c) but it was mostly apparent only during the night and not all the time as you are experiencing.  The side effect list on the leaflet mentions "chest palpitations" but not really sure it was that or not. I also to this day still don't know if it was a side effect or simply the colitis/crohns* in flare. (*I don't know which I have)

Aside from that initial period, and about 6-7 weeks into the meds things started to improve. (I am not in the 4th Month) However, I have not been so great in this last week, no blood but bowels have not been very settled. I have tried to increase my dose to 4.8mg to see if I can improve things.

Anyway, I know you have been taking Mesalazine a while now so my experience may not be the same as yours, and if you still feel the same in a few days then it's better to speak with your IBD nurse/doctor.

I have taken all three brands of Mesalazine , Asacol, Octasa and Mesevant. Octasa is apparently the cheaper alternative to Asacol so may be prescribed instead of Asacol. Mesevant was originally prescribed by my hospital but somehow my GP decided to give me Asacol instead. I asked to be switch back to Mesevant because I prefer the blister pack and larger tablet over the loose tub that Asacol is dispensed in.

Let's see if anyone else has experienced these weird chest feelings.

Take care and wish all goes well. smile

Frank

• Posted

Hi Frank,

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems. Seems like you're the same as me in that you don't know whether or not it's the medication or the colitis. I didn't take my meds yesterday and I seem to be improving in the chest area. I'll see how I feel in the morning and if I feel better still I'll start taking them again. 

Hope you feel better soon Frank.

Cheers

Ashley

• Posted

Thanks Ashley, hope that you also feel better soon. If you decide to stop the meds, do make sure you speak to the IBD nurse as you do want to keep the colitis under control.

Cheers.

Frank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.