Strange Cross-eyed Feeling causing Loss of Balance

Posted , 86 users are following.

For about the past 2 years I have suffered from a sudden feeling of visual imbalance or cross-eyed sensation (although not actually cross-eyed)! This in turn causes a type of vertigo involving loss of balance accompanied by nausea. This lasts for approx 10-15 minutes before my vision returns to normal. I have had 2 eye tests which confirm nothing untoward (I have replacement single vision lenses in both eyes following cataract surgery). My doctors have given up trying to diagnose this condition having carried out blood tests for Pituitry, thyroid, diabetes, anaemia and infection which are all perfectly OK. I would be interested to know if anybody has suffered similar or knows a possible cause. I have not been rfeferred to a neurologist or recommended for CT or MRI. I am female aged 65

3 likes, 125 replies

125 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am currently having that problem and what I terorise to be my cause is that I take a strong sleep med every night that gives the same senation for only a few seconds which are sopposed to make me sleep. It does work but I think it might work TOO well...
  • Posted

I am 64 and I am having the same thing happen to me or it sounds like it. My vision, for no reason, will split in the up down direction and I see two of the same things. Also I have a very strange feeling in my face and head. It will pass in about 10 minutes and I can shut one eye and still see good no matter what eye I close. It comes on out no where even when I'm driving. I told my eye doctor about it and her reply "It's your brain doing that, for some reason your site is not synchronized" that is all that was said.... No help what so ever and it's happening more often. I have not found much on the internet to guide me to a fix or a droctor so If you find good infomation please pass it on.
    • Posted

I too have been getting pretty much the exact same surreal sensation you've descibed. Over the last year or so... every now and again, suddenly and without any warning, my vision kind of (ever so slightly) splits into two in the up and down direction (as you've described) and I suddenly have this weird as all hell 'vacant disconnected floaty feeling in my head'. It seems to last up to 10 minutes or so... then kind of lifts. I've tried as best as I could to describe this to my doctor but he can only put it down to some kind of stress related issue, perhaps to do with my slightly high blood pressure, for which I've been taking the same medication now for around 4 years. It's a pretty darn freaky sensation and frankly it's starting to worry me a little. Has anyone got a good answer for this yet?

• Posted

With me it is also a sudden 5 or 10 minute thing, just as you've described. Just started last year when I switched to an especially hectic job and unfortunately usually happens just after work when I am driving home. Not the best time for double vision as you can imagine. Only a couple times a year but very alarming and no warning. I have had a few optical migraines in the distant past but these episodes "feel" different due to a numbness in the head so I'm not buying that they're the same thing. It sounds like a overwork or stress related symptom that is epidemic and that doctors are completely missing. I correlate it with 'info overload' days but maybe that's just me.

• Posted

Hi I have exactly what your describing I suffer anxiety alot just wondering if u have any anxiety conditions. Rach
    • Posted

My NP suggested mine is PTSD from a cosmetic surgery that didn't go well.  She put me on an anti-depressant RX that seemed to help somewhat but my rheumatologist told me he won't give me Tramadol if I'm on it because of the possiblity of a fatal interaction.  I did find that Amber lenses in stores with florescent lighting helps tremendously as well as polar lenses while driving. 

I really suspect PHOTOPHOBIA is my issue. 

• Posted

I had this begin about 20 years ago. I was told i had positional vertigo since initially it happened when I stood up after squatting down..Then it started happening when I got excited or hurried.. Then it started happened when I got excited or hurried..even while driving..I had to close one eye to see where i was going..It usually only lasts a few minutes. I had to close my eyes or focus on one thing before it got better. I had my eyes checked and while they didnt find me completely noraml, i was not offered a solution. if I can remain calm it doesnt happen much. Im guessing it has something to do with my autonomic nervous system or vagus nerve, but honeslty i have no way of knowing for sure. I was just suprised to find others with this cross-eye symptom..
    • Posted

I do know however that it is not simple positional vertigo as the doctor once dianosed, since it happened when I get an adrenalin rush or hurried as well with no change to my position.. It all started when I was pregnant in my forties..
  • Posted

Yes! This began happening to me after multi-vision lens implant cataract surgery. Ithspoens every couple of months and I get the same feeling v as what you are describing. Feel like it's related to the implants of surgery.

• Posted

I have Had this Problem for at least 6 Years. The feeling that I was getting crossed eyes. And Dizzy. Thr last time it happend about 2 months ago my lips went Numb. I was at work and I asked my partner to Look at my eyes to see If they looked odd. He said they looked Normal.The Numb lips made me feel a little freaked out . It only lasted for about ten mins then went away. I made a Doctors appointment and told him what happend. After blood test and a couple other test all came back Normal. Blood pressure was perfect. So ive been looking around on the Net. I found some interesting info on working hard and working out to much can make these symptons. It told me that it can be lack of water and blood not getting to the Brain fast enough. I do tend to not drink enough water. So im going to try and keep water with me at work.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. My symptoms lasted for more than 4 years and after exhaustive tests I was told it must be atypical migraine which I think was right and in my case caused by changes in chemical and hormonal balances as the next year I was diagnosed with a large ovarian tumour. Following surgery it was found to be not fully malignant and once the internal healing was complete my dizzy symptoms disappeared. It sounds as though you could have a form of silent migraine which can cause numbness or tingling in various places.
    • Posted

Hi Darren. Just wonder if you lost the simptoms after drinking more water ?
  • Posted

Hi Kate,

Does the sensation come about as a random bout or with a specific, maybe sudden, movement? It could be related to vestibular migraines.

Also, if the spells are short and provoked by movement, it may be a case of prolonged BPPV. These things are known to cause all sorts of wonky eye discomfort.

• Posted

I suffer from what sounds like the same condition. How ever I have a butterfly rash and am being tested for Lupus. I worry it will effect my driving. I usually close one eye until it passes, however this effects my vision to because I'm looking out of one eye. I have been to numerous doctors and none of them can diagnose or treat the condition. It's like a unsolved physical mystery. I hope you will keep us all informed. I'll do the same. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.