Strange dreams

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone suffered with strange sometimes quite frightening dreams on venlafaxine.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

YES!!!   I mostly have them when my MD lowers the dosage which I have been doing for almost 4 months now.   They range from strange to actual full out night terrors that wake me up screaming.   Talk to your physician about it.  It is a known side effect.  
    • Posted

So far it's just really really strange dreams they could actually be waking me up I just thought I woke cause I needed the loo

• Posted

Yes. Very rarely nightmares but highly creative scenarios often involving a challenge of some sort. As mentioned it is a known side effect. Harmless IMHO.
    • Posted

Yeah defo I've just been put up too 75mg twice a day. Thank you

• Posted

Youll get them using most anti depressants, not just ven.
    • Posted

Yes, doing well thanks, best one ive been so far. When you are depressed, i dont think you dream, i dont, and i can usually remember my dreams. When anti depressants start working, thats usually when you get the vivid ones. I find if its a nice dream, then for a few minutes after waking up, the nice feeling stays with me, and everything seems normal and good, ie i dont have any depression or anxiety. Its very surreal. I wouldnt be concerned about the dreams, theres not much you can do about them, and i think its a good sign you are dreaming, even if they arent pleasant.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply I'm the same doing ok on the venlafaxine much better than the state I was in 2 weeks ago xxx

• Posted

I also have crazy dreams, usually kinda funny. Depends on mood I'm in when I go to sleep... probably. I love animals and actually..in my dream I got like 9 cats and 5 dogs..lol..all I could think about us how in the world can I afford them? 😊 very vivid..

• Posted

Thank so much for the reply now I know it's not just me xxx

• Posted

Antidepressants effect your REM sleep less of it, hence you remember your dreams. I take Trazadone at night for sleep which helps insomnia and doesn’t effect rem sleep
    • Posted

Sorry whats rem mean. I was in zoplicone but now off it 2 weeks . I'm feeling a lot better than I was on venlafaxine xxx

• Posted

Hi, I’ve been on venlafaxine for years and I personally don’t recall it affecting my already random weird dreams that I have. I’ve had vivid dreams with a range of themes and emotions that I can clearly recall to...dreams that make zero sense that jump all over the place and dreams I cannot even remember, but I don’t think it’s a direct cause from the med. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.