Strange experience after quitting cold turkey

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been drinking wine heavily since around 2012; first a bottle a day, then one and a half, then two and maybe a couple glasses after that. At parties, non-stop til I lose count.  Before that, for a good 4 years, I drank martinis, margaritas, scotch, etc. but in 2012, switched to only wine. Been tring to stop but decided to do it two nights ago.  I felt groggy and low energy the first day of no wine.  The second day, I felt tired as well but not much else, maybe a bit sharp with my husband.  Last night while lying in bed trying to sleep, I looked around and I could see things moving around.  Ordinary things bending and moving and sometimes sending out something like ropes or strings toward me.  Shadows on the curtains were moving and the ceiling fan looked like it was bending on the ends.  I sat up and looked then turned on the light; everything was fine.  Same thing after I turned off the light again.  Husband woke up, asked me if I was okay so I told him.  He said maybe it was because I took a lorazepam before bed for the first time in months. Anyway, I wasn't afraid cuz I thought it was effects from alcohol withdrawl.  I am on High doses of Wellbutrin and Effexor since 2001 for Social Phobia and Depression so maybe stopping will go better for me since I already take  meds?  I just wondered if these moving things all around me were due to alcohol withdrawl.  I mean, everywhere I looked, everything was moving but only in the dark. 

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You should really consult a medical professional about this.

And if nothing else, this will at least put your mind at rest.  There is no-one here who can say if it was due to alcohol withdrawal, or maybe the lorazepam or the other medications you are on.  There are just too many variables due to your medications.

In addition, alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous.  IF it was due to alcohol withdrawals, then a doctor should be consulted to ensure you are not putting yourself at any risk.  If he/she diagnoses that you may be, then they can provide some short term medicine to make things less dangerous.

I am sorry this isn't an answer you are looking for, but I feel it is the correct one.  Seek the opinion of someone who is trained in this type of thing.

• Posted

Okay.  I won't be able to get in anywhere except the Emergency Room and I hate to go there if I don't need to.   

• Posted

As Joanna says, no one here can be sure exactly what is causing this and a trip to the GP would be advised.

Although, if I had to guess, I would say yes, the symptoms are that of alcohol withdrawal. Although, you have taken a benzo (lorazepam) which does help with withdrawal symptoms. If you are a daily drinker, it is not advisable to just stop, much better to reduce to nothing over a period - that period depending on the quantity consumed.

I am not familiar with Wellbutrin, so I looked it up. The first return comes back with:

"You should not take Wellbutrin if you have seizures, an eating disorder, or if you have suddenly stopped using alcohol, seizure medication, or sedatives."

• Posted

Oh YEEX!  Thanks.  You know I never even thought of looking up the meds.  Thank you and I'm going to follow the advice to cut back gradually.

• Posted

Your symptoms do sound like withdrawal symptoms, but obviously like the other replies, no one can know for certain.

Personally I would go and see my dr asap, withdrawing from alcohol is dangerous and can produce seizures, which could be life threatening.

If you can't get medication, then rather than just suddenly stopping drinking, you should taper/reduce the amount of alcohol gradually

• Posted

Thank you.  I'm glad I found this site.  I would have liked to just quit cold turkey because I do much better with that sort of method.  That's the only way I could quit smoking, forty years ago.

I'm not able to see the doctor right now.  

I'm going to try setting a schedule.  It's tough.  My entire circle; family and friends all drink. I have constant thinking going on and only be drinking, can I stop the thoughts.  In my head, I know I can do this, it's my heart and emotions that tell me I can't and I should just give up on life.  But I have a good family and supposrtive friends so it's not an option.  This is why I know in my head, I can do this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.