strange experience with the implant, period pain with no bleeding???

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am writing this so I can share my current experience, and also hopefully get some advice or help.

this is the detailed story , I have been having painful periods ever since the first time i got it (I was 10 years old), and the older i got the more painful it became, i was living on pain killers in that time of the month, and finally decided that i need to get it checked or do something about it, a lot of my friends are taking contraception and they said that helps with the pain so i thought to get a professional advice.

in February 2017 i went to a gynaecologist and decided to go on contraception but i did not like the idea of the pill because i knew i would forget to take it so i wanted to try other options, my gyno recommended i go for the implant (implanon) which is a stick that goes in your arm, i gave it a go and had it put in..here is where this story gets weird.

the first 3 months it was amazing, i got very little period and no pain at all, i felt so good and finally something taking this pain away..

BUT comes May, i started getting period pain with no bleeding, and the pain would last for a week or 2 , i started getting really worried, as i knew one of the side effects is that i would get irregular bleeding but nothing mentioned pain with no bleeding, so i went to my gyno and explained what is happening so she referred me to do an internal ultra sound.

after that was done , i get my results and turned out that i have 2 cysts one on the left and one on the right, the left one was about 2 cm (and no signs of endometriosis) so the doctor says that  the reason for the pain is the cysts, and the cure/solution to treat it is to take the pill (with the implant still in place)for a while and it should help to get rid of them.

i was hesitating at the beginning as i didn't want to be on 2 contraception at the same time, i wasn't sure how my body will react or if I'm gonna have mood swings....etc

the ultrasound was done in June, and then July , August and September i started getting my period for 10 days then it would stop for 4 days then i get it again for 10 days and it would stop for 4 days....and so on,,,it was painful as well and i was going crazy i did not know if its time to take the implant out or to keep it as i was told it might take one year for my body to get used to it..and there are side effects to it.

so i decided to go back to my gyno and take the pill (with the implant still in my arm) because i was blaming everything on the cysts, so i go there and i start taking the combined pill for 3 months continuous, that was on the 23rd of October that i took my first one, from that time until my follow up appointment which was on the 16th of january, i did not get my period at all, i remember getting a bit of cramping for a day or 2, but it was nothing like the pain i get all the time, so i was happy, life was great.

then comes my follow up appointment , i had another ultra sound and my doctor says the best news which is.. the cysts are gone and i do not need to take the pill anymore, that was great for me i was really happy, so i stopped the pill, BUT, i started getting the period pain again without bleeding, just 2 days after i stopped the pill, i still have this pain right now, i really don't know what to do anymore, should i take the implant out? is my body refusing it? why would this happen?? and what can i do to make my period less painful? how come I'm getting period pain with no bleeding??

please help, if you know or if you went through the same experience i really want to know..

thanks a lot for reading..

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had the implant for the full 3 years and it was my first ever birth control. For the first year I had no period at all but would still get period symptoms....breast pain, stomach pain, etc. The second year I started to get my period again and it just got worse from there. I had terrible mood swings, I was so tired all the time, I gain so much weight and am no at my heaviest weight ever. I had very, very clotted periods that would least for months at a time. Yes....months. I tried the birth control pill for three months to try and regulate my period towards the end of my three years of having it and it did really help the periods at all. I now have the Mirena IUD....which started off with a light period and now I haven't had a period and it will be a year in February of me having it. That's just my experience.... I hope that you find out some answers and find something that works for you. 

• Posted

I meant to say that the birth control pills DID NOT help me.
    • Posted

Its going to be a year for me in febuary as well

Thanks alot for sharing your story it helps to know im not the only one having weird experiences with the implant, 

It is similar to what you had.

I hope the IUD  keeps working for you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.