Strange fears and hyper alert - is this part of CFS?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've noticed I am always in hyper alert mode and often very jumpy.I jumped out of my ski recently in a supermarket at the sound of someone coming up behind me with one of those large cages- the noise was unbearable. I also have irrational fears- for example I was woken by my neighbour coming home in thier car at 3am, but in half awake half asleep mode I thought the people in the car were coming to get me - (I had been following the reporting of the horrendous Paris attacks a lot on the internet) Anyhows, just wondering if this is due to the effects on the nervous system being on overdrive? Does anyone else get these strange fears?  

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not normally, but feeling exhausted could play a role in making you feel over-wrought. There was talk of CFS being related to 'sustained arrousal', but the research on this didn't pan out. Maybe it could be something of relevence to you?
    • Posted

I feel like I'm in this state of fight or flight most of the time Fidd! And they didn't ask me to answer their questionaires in their research. 
  • Posted

hmmm yes to being more jumpy, yes to being a bit paranoid and i guess yes to living on my nerves more... which is also tiring and becomes a self fulfilling tiredness thingy. But on good days only a bit more jumpy. i tend to over compensate too by being over confident.... which also creates its own fun... not... and so can be a bit snappier. tending not to see the funny side as much as i think i used to. I think it comes from the illness being too tired and also being depressed fed up each adds a bit into the other.
  • Posted

Hi there what you describe is hypersensitivity ! I can't stand noise , smells & even food sensitivities !! It's a part of cfs / fibromyalgia  I've lived with this for 14 yrs & it seems to have gotten worse ( I have to go to bed when my husband wants a curry the smell is too much for me to stand !?!? I then burn candells all day to get rid of the smell ! Interestly the nice smelly candel I'm ok with ?) 

im more sensitive. To. Foods such as onions ,garlic & I've developed an allergy to chillies !! 

The strange dreams you. Mention may be a reaction to medication check the side affects of your meds ? I also get restless leg syndrome & muscle twitches that make me jump out of my skin usually when I'm dropping off to sleep 

so don't worry you are not alone & your not going mad !!! 

Take care dawn x

• Posted

Thank you so much for that Dawn - I honestly thought I was losing it! lol! Interesting about the meds too - I have woken up with really bad muscle spasms/twitching recently. I would so love to come off all the meds...one day hopefully xx
  • Posted

That would be great if you could , I'm afraid I'm on them for life as I've tried over the tears but the pain made my life hell so it's the better of two evils !!! 

My meds help me have some normality ( as apposed to being on the sofa always !!) 

so I'm content to keep at them !! But you must find your own way through this maze what's good for one dosnt work for someone else !!!!

as long as you are not worrying yourself stupid & forums like this help enormously 

Take care dawn x

• Posted

Thanks Dawn, yes its wonderful to be able to chat with others going through similar experiences xx
  • Posted

Yes I'm in hyper alert mode a lot! Even things like remembering that I have to do something, such as make a phone call brings on panic. I experience my HPA, Hypothalamic, Pituitary Adrenal axis sending fight or flight hormones all around my body, utterly out of proportion to the triggers.
    • Posted

Wow, thats interesting to know why this is happening i.e the HPA. As if we didnt have enough to cope with hey xx
    • Posted

Yes true! I'm sitting here in bed utterly willing myself to go and make my dinner, liver n onions, mashed potato and carrots, but my body doesn't want to do it, and it's making me think of easier ways to make it, like just shoving it all in a casserole dish, but I'd have to wash it.

I should just put all the raw food on a plate, and blast it with one of those flame things! lol This is not my most energetic time of day. sad

• Posted

Lol!! Omg the times that has happened to me and I've resorted to a plain old rice cake and butter! and then gone to sleep. I'm lucky now to have

carers come in on days when I feel like that - if only I can get used to not doing anything for myself anymore - that feels very weird xx.

• Posted

I've had carers on and off for several years and I could never get used to it. When it my sister it was better but she got another job so ended up with two jobs.

The last lot of carers it was so many different ones who didn't stay for the full allocated hour. One threw some of my things away the first time she came. They're not my carers now. A woman from a complex care team is trying to sort out another one, but hopefully it'll be the same one and I can get to know her.

One carer I had got cancer; woah that was rough, I found myself trying to support her.

• Posted

Hi yes, thanks for this I thought it was the pregablin medication I am taking for pain with CFS/ME.  I have been very jumpy, nervous, almost paranoid for quite a while now.  My husband and daughter don't know what to do or say to me it has become that bad.  I live in fear of one of us being hurt or injured someway, especially as my daughter is now at Uni.  I thought it may because in the last 6 months, I have lost my job, my mum passed away, and my daughter left for Uni.  I am at home mostly all day on my own and limited capability on most days.  Maybe there is something in it if there are more of you feeling somewhat nervous etc.  I was always such a happy go lucky sort of person. 

Best wishes

Tinax

• Posted

Your paranoia sounds more elevated than mine so perhaps the meds are exasperating it.
    • Posted

Hi Tina, I sympathise with you, its so scary to have these thoughts and feelings hey. I thought I was going bananas! Sending you a big hug - you've been through a very tough year hey. Possibly these very sad events havent helped with the heightened feelings too.You're  a proper warrior to be able to cope with all of that and M.E. too xx    
    • Posted

Hi Flowerpotlady, thank you, yes  2014 was an extremely tough year which has made a great input on the M.E.  I am so pleased and grateful that I have found all of you guys who unfortunately have this horrible condition.  It gets so hard at times trying to explain to family how you feel, and why you can't continue a task or have to let them down at last minute.  Thank you all for just being there!

Tinax

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.