Strange flakes and itchy scalp

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

So probably 6 months ago, the scalp just above my ears started feeling itchy and I noticed it as a bit dry. I didn't think much of it and figured I would just keep an eye on it and it should improve. Well, 6 months has gone by and it has gotten much worse. It has now spread up in an odd way.. it sort of rides my hairline. I have long hair and it is precious to me, so I'm sort of freaking out that this could cause hair loss and I don't know what to do. The rash is itchy, red, and has tons of flakes. Almost like super excessive dandruff. It is the same exact spot on both sides of my head above my ear going up.. but that's it. It has spread but it's also pretty isolated. The top and back of my head are untouched.

I am worried that it will spread worse. I think it is seborrheic dermatitis. My question is, could my glasses have caused it? It's rather strange to me that it started exactly where the glasses touch my ears on both sides of my head. My glasses are acetate, and I don't think that's usually a material people are allergic to.

I already use an anti-dandruff shampoo with pyrithione zinc. I also am a big believer in essential oils and have been applying frankincense and myrrh twice a day (which has helped a little but hasn't done much). I am going to try and start applying coconut oil and see if that helps.

Do you guys have any other ideas? I am just really concerned that it will spread and start to cause hair loss, not to mention that it's really ugly and itchy.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

A flaky itchy rash behind the ears could really be anything,from eczema to  contact dermatitis, psoriasis to a fungal problem. Perhaps try using a different anti dandruff shampoo?  Maybe one based on selenium sulphide,which can be very helpful.    

Tea tree oil applied to the skin may help,and also taking turmeric and vitamin D.

Do you wash the arms of your glasses? Maybe you have built up some sort of debris on them and its causing an allergic reaction or a fungal problem.

You really need to see a doctor for a proper diagnosis and then correct treatment if any of the above dont work

Good luck.

• Posted

I've never actually washed the arms of my glasses. I recently applied nail polish to the sides thinking that if I was allergic to the glasses, it would make things better. I haven't really noticed much of a difference. The clear nail polish is acetate based though, which is the same plastic my glasses are made of. So if I am allergic to acetate (which I don't know if that is possible), that would explain my problem.

• Posted

If you wear glasses you should wash them thoroughly from time to time. Its amazing how much dead skin and dirt can accumulate on them especially behind the ears and on the nose piece. Its OK to put them into a bowl of warm soapy water and then give them a light brushing with something like a makeup brush. Then rinse thoroughly under the tap,and dry with a tissue .    The nail polish is not a good idea as some people are allergic to it,but if you try to take it off with nail polish remover you may damage the arms themselves.

• Posted

It does sound like psoriasis

You need to make sure you clear away as much dead skin as you can (try using a body scrubber) before applying any creams and shampoos as you may not be treating the skin.

Also worrying about it can increase the rate of cell reproduction

I find taking salt baths (dead sea salt has high doses of magnesium) helps and then using a moisturiser specifically for dry skin like dermol 500

• Posted

When I read what you wrote I thought for a moment that I was dreaming! you described me!! this is what I've been dealing with for he last 6 months now! I thought it was the detergent, than shampoos. I've tried everything under the sun. I really can't afford the testing that the dermatologist will do. So I've tried self medication. I have not had any success. Did you find out what it was? I also th

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.