Strange flashes in vision, similar to floaters. What are they? What should I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, I'm 27 years old. I have been having a lot of issues with my vision recently and don't know what is going on. A couple months ago, I experienced an increase in floaters along with my entire vision flashing (it looked like someone was dimming the lights and turning them back on very quickly, happened mainly in the morning upon waking up) I went to the eye doctor, had a full exam with dilation, and he found nothing wrong. I wasn't very careful after this (wasn't really informed I should be) and didn't wear sunglasses. I had extreme sensitivity to light and dizziness for weeks following this (I believe due to the dilation and me not being careful afterwards) and it still hasn't completely gone back to normal.

Now, I'm experiencing something new. They are these little ball shapes, that kinda look and behave like floaters. They appear randomly, floating away from the center of my vision, and disappear within a few moments, only to reappear a few minutes later. However, unlike floaters, they glow and flash brightly and are very hard to ignore, and I can see them over everything, even when watching TV and things like that, and can also see them in the dark. They are present almost all of the time now.

I'm not sure what to do, and looking for some advice here. Does anyone here have any idea what might be happening to me? Should I go back to the Doctor for another exam? I would have already as I am quite worried about my eyes, but I'm also really scared of having my eyes dilated again after the side effects I experienced. Just really scared and don't know what to do, pls help me. 😦

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have experienced so many odd vision problems through my life,most just went away after awhile. if you were just at an optician,I'd recommend an optometrist or opthomologist,the opthomologist being the higher up in the eye expertise field. Just know that I Was Told By A Very EXPERIANCED opthamologist that the eye can have many strange symptoms. I guess my next suggestion if all else fails to help is a reference to a Nuerologist. Hope it gets better.

• Posted

if i were you, id go see an opthomologist who specializes in retinas that. good luck..

• Posted

sorry...its an Ophthalmologist

• Posted

Alright guys, I will try to find one, thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.