Strange Fluoxetine side effects

Posted , 182 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Started to take Fluoxetine just over 2 weeks ago after being prescribed them for depression and anxiety. I'm hoping it will get better with time, but at the moment I'm feeling so tired constantly, and like I've lost all my motivation. I'm also feeling quite self conscious around people, and my anxiety has increased a little. If anyone's had a similar experience, how long was it until you started to feel better? I'm not planning on stopping the medication as I've heard it does take time, but can't help wondering how long I have to endure these exacerbated feelings :?

12 likes, 415 replies

415 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi John B, Gaz and SuziSue and everyone else!

Onto week 4 now and it is getting better! Still so tired and not a great appetite but a LOT calmer and more in control :shock: .

Going back to Dr's tomorrow for next months prescription. I'm still not happy about having to be on these pills to have to feel this way so hopefully a few more month and that'll be me.

These little pills do work and it is true, it is worse before it gets better. Stick with them and good luck to you all.

Ang :roll:

• Posted

Hi ange and everybody else it is true it does take at least 4 weeks to get into the system,i also couldn't eat and i lost quite a bit of weight,i have been on them now for nearly a year and i have put the weight back on and more,i am also very hungry all the time and and suffer from bad insomnia,after hearing the news this morning it has worried me into thinking it is because these pills may be the placebo ones and that is maybe why i am still feeling like i do,any advice would be appriciated.

Good luck to all those people who are taking them

• Posted

Hi John B, Suzi, Ang, and anyone else reading/posting,

thought I'd give you all an update on my Fluoxetine experience.

I'm starting to feel much better on these tablets, and more in control.

Headed into my 4th week feeling a lot more positive and calmer. I'm not a 100% yet, I'm sure it's going to take a couple more weeks, but I'm noticeably a lot better than the first 2 weeks when I wasn't feeling myself at all.

I wanted to write something positive as there seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding the whole 'anti depressant' issue at the moment. I say if something works for you as an individual, ignore the media BS.

Hope everyone else is ok?

Gaz

• Posted

Hi Gaz,

Just like you, I'm in week 4, week 5 starts on Monday 03/03. The first 2 weeks were horrid but now, like you, I'm feeling calmer and more positive.

See this issue with the news and all this controversy surrounding these pills; it's just this weeks topic. next week they'll decide that eating mashed potato is bad for you and will shorten your life by 5 years! :lol:

As you say Gaz, if it works for you as the individual, then it can't be wrong. Works for you, me and John-B or he wouldn't be with us, would you John!

Anyway, everyone keep up the good work and [b:8de58d3789]IT'S NEARLY THE WEEKEND!!![/b:8de58d3789]

Ang.

• Posted

Hey Ang,

you're absolutely right! The media don't care that they've unnecessarily worried a lot of people who're on medication. It annoys me that people are quick to judge something they don't understand themselves, with their 'pull yourself together' rhetoric. It's always something though isn't it! As you say, it'll be something else that's bad for you next week, like fresh air! :p

As Ang says, keep it up folks.. we'll all get there eventually smile

• Posted

Hi guys.

I've started to take my tablets at night just before bedtime. Feel a lot better for it as I'm guessing the side effects are eradicated in my sleep. Not sure if it's just me, or whether it'll help you too??

I'm off to Devon for a weeks holiday, hope to catch up with you once home.

Hope everyone's ok,

Gaz smile

• Posted

Hello. My husband has been taking fluoxetine (this time) for the past 18 months. I had horrendous \"trouble\" with him beforehand, but I am delighted, relieved, ecstatic, even, to report that he has been a changed person, and i am determined he should continue taking the drug regularly. Without going into gory details, he was insufferable before discovering this way forward, and it was impossible to cope with him. Tho, for some reason, I did. I wouldn't have missed out on this past 18 months for the world, as my dear husb has gone back to what he was in the first place - and lives life to the full (extreme sports galore, appreciating our fabulous relationship, and even enjoying staying in, watching trashy TV occasionally!) His mother has just died, suddenly, which is already making things very difficult, but I am optimistic that he will soon start to cope with the difficult situation it has put him in. IF he hadn't been taking fluoxetine before, I would have been completely distraught myself, as there would have been NO WAY to have helped him. For anyone experiencing initial problems with the drug, i would say stick with it if you can - it does change your life, and the lives of those folks who love you. In our case it has been unbelievably good. ps my husband is 45, but a YOUNG 45, if you see what I mean!
    • Posted

How long did it take him? I'm on week 4 and tired and zapped of energy and my personality is dulled sad better then the way I was but not me yet x
    • Posted

Hey I'm posting this to a lot of folks here. My doctor recently switched me from pristiq to prozac and then to taper me off because none were helping.

What I found out we that my tiredness and all of the other things that were going on was not sure you that all but to there food, particularly the meat and diary I was eating daily.

For the past 2 weeks I have increased my veggies, salads, fruits, water, nuts significantly almost eliminating meats and diary. I have so much more energy, less pain and stress, depression, etc.

I've started meditating with music (various frequenciesbiz) letting it play low during the night while I slept.

Today I feel like a new person! Now i cheat a lot but I've increased the intake of the good stuff so it still makes a HUGE difference. I couldn't believe it.

I cannot imagine how much energy I'll have even I start exercising.

The brain just like our other body parts need good food to preform. In tried vitamins, that did nothing, but the removing the poisonous meats, dairy, bad sugars and starches is the drug we all need.

It works I challenge you to try for at least 2-3 weeks and let me know how you feel!.

• Posted

Came off of citalapram after quite a long time. Dr put me on Fluoxetine 20 mg two weeks ago today.

Felt very disorinated and awfully low, not hungry . Head feels as if it does not belong to me. But

today do feel slightly better. Dr said it may be 3 to 4 weeks before it kicks in. Can cope if this is correct

wake up in the morning my stomach feels nauseous is this normal anyone?

Thanks, have not written on here before. anything is worth a tryh isnt it?

• Posted

Hi there .yes I have been on fluoxetine and propranolol for a week now. Although I have been taking the propanolol for longer. The side effects are horrid for me .Burning tummy, nauseous , cold sweats, and last night my head kept making a snapping sound. I am very worried about this .Don't know weather to stop taking these. Went to the doctors and she said I have to keep taking them. I haven't worked for a week as feel so bad. Can any one tell me if it's best to take in the morning or at night?
    • Posted

Hey thanks to all comments feel better hearing what you all going through as wasn't sure whether to continue, feeling bit more anxious than had before. Don't feel meself bit high, low. Funny stomach and subconscious more so sticking with it 2 weeks on, hope gets better. Think been better for me taking late afternoon good luck everyone x

• Posted

Hey I'm posting this to a lot of folks here. My doctor recently switched me from pristiq to prozac and then to taper me off because none were helping.

What I found out we that my tiredness and all of the other things that were going on was not sure you that all but to there food, particularly the meat and diary I was eating daily.

For the past 2 weeks I have increased my veggies, salads, fruits, water, nuts significantly almost eliminating meats and diary. I have so much more energy, less pain and stress, depression, etc.

I've started meditating with music (various frequenciesbiz) letting it play low during the night while I slept.

Today I feel like a new person! Now i cheat a lot but I've increased the intake of the good stuff so it still makes a HUGE difference. I couldn't believe it.

The brain just like our other body parts need good food to preform. In tried vitamins, that did nothing, but the removing the poisonous meats, dairy, bad sugars and starches is the drug we all need.

It works I challenge you to try for at least 2-3 weeks and let me know how you feel!.

• Posted

Hi Hopey

Yup this is quite normal. I think the doc is being quite conservative at 3 to 4 weeks. The side effects took 6-8 weeks for my system to get used to the drug and settle down but everyone is different. Its worth the wait though although you may find that hard to believe now.

I have only ever been on Fluoxetine or flu as it is affectionately known! 9 weeks on 20mg and 40mg ever since - about 4 years now. To help with the nausea you could try some ginger tea or anything with ginger in it. If you get nausea headaches (as i did) i found the only thng that worked was the 4head roll on stick that got rid of the symptoms for a while.

Any questions please ask.

Good luck and best wishes.

MP

• Posted

I'm on week 6 and so up and down. Still get really low. Is there still time for fluoxetine to help?
    • Posted

Hi, no idea if you still check this site? I've been taking Prozac for 8 days and I feel awful!!!! Anxiety is almost unbearable in the morning, I feel sick, have no appetite, and getting hot sweats and sweaty feet bizarrely (??)

If you do still check this, any advice on when you started to feel a little better would be amazing, I'm so tired of feeling down!

Kirsty x

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.