Strange how recovery works

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well I'm 5 months in now and it's been very up and down along the way, I've managed to get through all the side effects and started seeing more Good days than bad and have even felt like my old self again. Then just when you think things are turning the corner a couple of bad days come 😒Not even sure why but I feel a bit flat again and nervous/anxious and have that feeling where my eyes and head don't move together! Knotty tummy and feeling sick. I'm seeing my therapist today so hopefully that will help! Anyone else experienced this at 5 months? Xx

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm on 20mg by the way!
    • Posted

Oh how awful! I am sure someone who has been on them longer can give you advice. Living in the numb zone on 20mg at the moment in my 12th week. Not much motivation and feeling a little anxious at work, although better than before. I can't stand the thought of another wave of anxiety. Feel bette, and yes, getting better sure is complicated. Lee.
    • Posted

Hi Foxy Polly

I had plenty of anxious days at 5 months and I've been on citalopram for 9 months now and still get the odd days where I'm off kilter and feeling anxious!. It really does knock your confidence.

You sound like you're doing great.

Louise

• Posted

Hi Louise, I am a long way behind you at three months. Between your odd days when you feel off kilter, are the days good? Would love to hear that on the whole you are much happier. Good news is always encoutaging. Well done for making 9 months. Lee.
  • Posted

Hey Foxy polly - glad to hear your starting to see more good days and being like your old self again.  Yes these flat times with anxiety and other strange feelings etc are all quite normal, even at this stage.  They will get less and eventually stop.  Everyone is different, so for some it takes longer, some much quicker.  Try and understand that this is part of recovery, try and go with the flow, and you'll find you'll soon be back into calmer waters once more.

You're so right about recovery - its very strange how it works.  It's not like taking an antibiotic or something and just start feeling better, these meds work in a very strange way.  That's why many people get so confused by them, thinking they're not working, not getting better. 

You'll get there - sounds like you're well over the worst of everything now.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate I've had a pretty low day today and as I'm writing this the tears seam to be flowing and I've not done that in a while now! I had my therapy session today which was good and it is helping me to see things in a different way but even that takes time, hard work and patience! I'm not sure why I'm feeling the way I am today and probably never will but I don't like it especially after feeling great! I think when I'm feeling well I rush ahead and start planning loads then it's as if my brain can't cope so it knocks me back down again to a slower pace. Xxx
    • Posted

Hi

Hope your fine

1 thing I've noticed is that I think everyone doesn't like me could this be anxiety ??

• Posted

I think you may well have hit the nail on the head - it could be that you're trying to do too much when you're feeling better?  Your body is still recovering, even when it feels well, so anything can cause you to plummet back down again.  These ups and downs are normal though, but maybe when you're feeling well just try and take things a little slower.  If your broken leg had just healed you wouldn't try to start running on it .... you'd walk cautiously wink

Treat this current blip with a calmness, let it be there, know that it'll go - it will.  I know that feeling - I've cried many times through sheer frustration and said so many times 'it's just not fair'!!  My cat had many a time when her fur was all soggy where I'd cried and buried my head into her.  Bless her .... 

When you're having a good time you think you've beaten it at last, can cope with anyting - then when you're back down in that hole again all those good intentions just fly out the window.  Even though you can have months of feeling good, you can get the odd time of feeling low - sometimes it could be really low.  Remember, it WILL go.

K x

• Posted

Everyone doesn't like you?  Yes when you're anxious our minds play tricks on us and we misinterpret things.  We do over think things when feeling anxious.

wink

• Posted

Thanks Kate your advice is always so helpful and uplifting xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.