Strange large expanding rash on calf - allergies? Bug bite?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

my fiance and me have very recently gone to holiday to my parents on a countryside. About three days ago we noticed a reddish spot on his calf, which has ever since then been slightly expanding in size, itching, pulling on the skin, swelling, but no actual pain. What's interesting is that there seems to be no "center" or any sort of source that could indicate that it was for example  a bug bite; also, he says he didn't feel anything before he noticed the affected area.

Fiance doesn't have any fatigue, fever, any symptoms at all, just complains about it itching sometimes. As far as he's aware, he doesn't have any allergies.

Now, we have been to a few places which might have provoked a bug bite: cow fields (cows, therefore lots of cow-bugs, tall grass) and a wood-storage shed (a few spiders, possibly wood splinters) however as I mentioned earlier the affected area doesn't have any sign of actual bite or penetration at all. We are in Lithuania so there are no poisonous spiders, or snakes, and we haven't been in contact with dangerous plants too.

Now, visiting the doctors here would cost us extra because we are only taking holiday in this country (for 1.5 week) and we're not insured for health services, that's why I figured asking here might give us an idea if this is serious and requires medical treatment (if it turns out to be urgent we will head to the local doctors straight away!)

Here's a link to a picture of the bite (?) if that helps to identify it (warning: a large scale picture of a not very pretty skin rash)

http://i57.tinypic.com/nlo6c8.jpg

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am suspicious that it is a bug/spider bite since it is isolated and no others.  Sometimes spiders and insects also have bacteria when they bite and cause infections, which this appears to be starting an infection as it is so bright red and appears swollen.  If money is tight, you may be able to wait till you return home and can get to the doctor - and if you are lucky it may resolve on it's own by then.  Meanwhile, apply stuff to stop the itching (hydrocortisone salve, calendula lotion, calamine lotion).  You don't want to open the skin and make more skin breakdown.  Keep an eye on it for worsening condition, though.

Another idea, which may sound weird to you, but is an ancient herbal/plant helper for sores is plantain leaf.  If you can identify plantain in the yard, or fields; then pick a young leaf, chew it and place on the sore covered with a bandage.  After a day or 2, the redness may be resolved.  Note:  I say 'may be'.  It is difficult to know what exactly has caused this place.  (If you don't want to chew the leaf - but realize we chew salad all the time- you can chop it up and add some water to moisten it.)  Might also consider aloe gel.     Just some suggestions.  I hope it resolves and you both can continue on a happy holiday.  Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for your opinion and reminding me of the plantain leaf! I grew up on a countryside and I do remember I have used that leaf a few times myself to help with swelling after a bug bite for example.

It wasn't very tasty to chew that but what doesn't one do for their loved ones! I've put it up on the troublesome area this morning, will see if it helped tomorrow. Thank you again! smile

• Posted

Hello:

Am wondering if the plantain helped at all?  Has the area resolved?

• Posted

Hey Curious, thank you for checking up on us smile We have put up the plantain on the wound for two days in a row. The redness went away, so did the itching, and the swelling minimized as well. Now there's only one spot, surrounded by some swelling, so it looks like it has been a bite after all.

Thank you for a great advice again smile

• Posted

Hi, Travelers:

I am so glad the area seems to have resolved.  Hard to say if the plantain speeded the recovery or not; but I think it did.  I have had good success with plantain.  Or, as you know, often bug bites take a few 'irritating' days to work out of the system - so may have improved by now anyway!   Keep an eye on it, and remember other soothing herbs for the skin may help with the return of good, healthy skin  (calendula salve, aloe - and even neosporin if it seems infected).  Anyway, thanks for getting back to me.  Have a GREAT summer!

• Posted

Is your fiance alright in himself,  has his temperature gone up, is the size still increasing,  could you speak to a Pharmacist?  If it turns out to be something like cellulitis, he needs to be seen sooner rather than later.

Good luck.

• Posted

I am monitoring for any fever or general unwellness, but he says he's okay (I do still take his fever occasionally, but there's none, all normal) the only thing he brought up today was that he felt a little stiff in his foot on the affected side, but I am not sure if it has anything to do with the rash, and not with, say, sleeping in an uncomfortable position. But we might go to a pharmacist after this weekend, just to be on the safe side. Thank you for your advice!
  • Posted

I also wondered whether it might be a tick bite, especially as you say you are in the countryside.

Have a look at what this site has to say and also Google tick bite images and you might find an image that is similar to your fiance's.

https://patient.info/health/lyme-disease-leaflet

• Posted

We looked into ticks as the first option as they are most dangerous, but tick bite appears to form a red dot and a circle around it sorta thing. Ours is just a patch with really uneven sides. Either way, we will visit doctors about this once we get back to Denmark, and if something goes bad - doctors here, even if it costs.

I sure hope it isn't ticks though - I walked those same places for nearly 20 years and didn't get a single tick - would be awful if my fiance did rolleyes

But thank you I will read up on Lyme too, doesn't hurt knowing about that.

• Posted

Good thing I saw this thread. The suggestions will make me prepare if something happens to any of my family members. We have so many spiders roaming in our house lately. They are so feel at home. LOL!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.