STRANGE PAIN IN BUTTOCK

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently had a shelf pessary fitted which is proving quite comfortable after a few days of wear. But now I have developed a strange intermittent pain in my right buttock. It is not actually painful, if you see what I mean, more an awareness of not being right, an awareness of that part of my bottom. It is at the base of the buttock and although not truly painful, it is weird as I never had it before I had the pessary fitted. Any advice or informaton would be most helpful. Oh and by the way I had the shelf pessary fitted as part of a trial and error process of finding the right ring/shelf pessary to suit my anterior prolapse. I am trying this method before resorting to possible surgery which I would like to avoid.

thanks - any advice would be great.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It sounds as though the pessary is putting pressure on the nerves which is common. Sometimes it is so uncomfortable that it has to be removed. It's trial and error jacqueline. Try taking an anti inflammatory and see if it settles down.

• Posted

to be honest Matron, it isn't very painful, more uncomfortable, so don't think I need to take any medication (at the moment). I wondered if I should try and get an appointment at the hospital to check that the pessary is in the right position. What do you think? And this is my 7th pessary on my trial and error saga as I really would like to deal with this problem conservatively. 

thanks for advice. 

• Posted

You should definitely get an appointment if you are worried. I hadn't realised this was your 7th pessary.The reason why I advised an anti inflammatory is because sometimes a pessary that's been newly inserted causes the nerves and tendons to become a bit inflamed, an anti inflammatory can sometimes  reduce the inflammation. I can fully understand you trying a conservative method to deal with a prolapse but sometimes ladies just can't get away with a pessary. Is this the same as the other pessaries?

• Posted

I tried initially ring pessaries of different sizes. The first couple fell out and then I had one which had to be removed as it was uncomfortable. A previous shelf pessary (of a different size) had to be removed as it was causing irritation and a little bleeding. So I had a rest from any pessary. I then had a return to ring pessary, but again that didn't work. This shelf one is comfortable and except for this weird pain in lower buttock, seems to be OK. But I think I will try and get an appointment at the hospital to check it out as you suggest.

Having read some of the stories on this site, and knowing that my problem doesn't appear to be so bad, feel that if i can find the right pessary that might be the better approach for me. 

thanks again. 

• Posted

Good on you Jacqueline. I failed 4 size of ring pessares and went for surgery....

I should have tried other shape of it. I'n not gonna have another surgery if reprolapsed.

Stick with pessary Jacqueline.

• Posted

Hi Matron

how are you, are you enjoying your new home, sorry for jumping in ladies.

gill

• Posted

Hello Gillian. Lovely to hear from you. Yes we love our new home. Are you ok? 😘

• Posted

Hope you find a right one with no pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.