Strange perceptions, abnormal thinking patterns

Posted , 4 users are following.

I wanted to discuss a very specific symptom. I have seen it referenced elsewhere but I think it isn't very common but linked to panic and anxiety for me.

Along with my anxious state I suffer from recurrent thoughts yet it feels a little more or a little different from that. 5 weeks ago I was in an altogether worse place than I am now, really suffering from feelings of unreality. At that point my thoughts became very strange, now it is like the simple act of thinking and normal thoughts are registering as strange to my mind and as I explained to my mum it feels like a very tough symptom to conquor as it is ever present and all-pervasive. My mind has always been prone to PTSD states and rumination, and it feels like it simply cannot get over the strangeness. Has anyone else had experience with this?

Al

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Get a diagnosis friend! Don't freak! But sounds like duel personality disorder. 

• Posted

My GP is referring me to a psychologist he knows. It's not psychosis, schizophrenia or anything like that but I am wondering if it is anything at all as it was brought on specifically by this break down episode

• Posted

Totally anxiety related, the thought patterns can be extreme, and very very random. They do calm down when u allow them to be there without analysing them in any way shape or form. 

Don’t believe everything your mind tells you. 

• Posted

I'd describe the thought patterns as warped. Like nothing I've ever thought before and my mind simply can't let it go because it's so left field. I have been practising ignoring, welcoming and letting them float. However they are very all consuming

• Posted

I suffer terribly with anxiety. When I'm having a bad do with it I have awful negative thoughts. Is this normal with anxiety I'm not sure.

• Posted

It's very normal to have negative thoughts with anxiety. I'd say it would be more abnormal to have anxiety without negative thoughts

• Posted

Try meditation. Go on Utube and look up Rebekah Borucki and do her breathing. It will calm you. 

Will😎

• Posted

Cheers Will

I checked out Rebekah Borucki but I find the honest guys work well for me

Al

• Posted

Good Morning Al,

i read all your threads. It's definetly anxiety. I checked out the honest guys. Any particular video you like better? Are you on any meds?

will😎

• Posted

Thanks Will. I never believed it wasn't anxiety but it can be very powerful and full on sometimes, hard to take. Yes, I listen to the guided meditatations for stress anxiety and there's a deep relaxation one also. I'm on citalopram 20mg at the moment. How about you?

Al

• Posted

Although I seem to remember you are on citalopram 30mg 😎 I think it has definitely helped across the board, but I guess I am being inpatient

• Posted

Thank you..I feel a bit better now knowing I'm not weird x

• Posted

Hey Al, 

Thanks for the meditation info. I’m on 10mg and just finished 16 weeks and doing good. Some days in mid morning I get hyper but I know it’s from the stress here at work 😬😬. I’ll check the honest guys out later. Hope your day is good today. 

Will😎

• Posted

It's not wierd at all Kimbo don't worry

• Posted

Hey Will,

I use guided meditations cos I find them good to focus on. When I was ill a few years ago i got hyper at times too lol. Glad it's going well. I'm a lot better than I was but my mental obsessions are hard to deal with. I'm not sure of it's just an impression that won't leave but I am struggling with it. Hope your evenings good also.

Al

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.