Strange physical symptoms after a year of heavy drinking & some very heavy binges: liver disease?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi folks,

I'm starting a new thread because the last one was getting out-of-date and bogged-down with my anxiety issues.

I know I suffer from anxiety (and depression and insomnia), which is partly what drove me to drink, am on treatment for same and will review things with my GP asap, but I want to concentrate on my physical health concerns.  Please ignore this thread if you ONLY want to talk about anxiety.

Briefly: I was a social drinker for 25 years, occasionally drinking more than I should have (but at things like celebrations and functions).

Two years ago, I began to develop mental health problems, but didn't start drinking more heavily (self-medicating) until about one year ago, when I also started to binge drink occasionally, including twice last October.  After a gap, I then restarted drinking heavily in March this year, and this became very heavy at times in the summer (80+ units per week), with occasional even heavier binges, the most recent being last Thursday / Friday (50+ units each day).

I finally ended-up in hospital last weekend with tachycardia, low blood pressure and probably alcohol poisoning.  While there, I first developed a painful red/purple rash on my chest.  I was put on anti-biotics for this, and it seems to be clearing-up.

However, then, I quickly developed various other strange and unpleasant physical symptoms:

- numerous bruises;

- numerous pimples and red/purple dots under the skin;

- some hair loss and extensive hair-thinning;

- a spider naevus;

- red palms;

- itchy skin- skin darkening affecting the backs of my hands and genitals;

- regular, profuse sweating;

- whites of eyes turned lemon;

- brain "fog".

Some of these symptoms have reduced or resolved (eg. red palms and itchy skin), but the others have persisted.

I am eating OK, but making an effort to do so.  In spite of this, I have lost about a stone in weight in the past 3 weeks.  I'm also lacking in energy.

Since June, I have had regular liver function tests and other blood tests, too.

These have shown elevated enzymes, more or less in line with the extent of my drinking.  In early August, after a serious binge, the AST was 96 and GGT was 121.  In mid-August, AST had reduced to 25 and GGT 72.  But they were higher again (though both under 100) on my admission to hospital last weekend, but had started to fall again after I was there for a few days.  I have been advised that, in all of the tests, the values for other important measures were consistently normal.  The junior doctor in hospital said the LFTs indicated no cirrohsis or hepatitis. 

I also had a physical exam (just manual) from a GP in mid-August, and she said my liver / abdomen felt soft and suple with no sign of inflammation, enlargement or hardness.

However, given the strange and unpleasant physical symptoms that quickly developed in hospital last weekend, I fear that my last serious binge a week ago finally tipped me over the edge and into serious liver disease.  Too many of the symptoms are those of cirrohsis for me to think anything else.  (I've checked on the NHS website.)

I am absolutely terrified that, despite good advice and warnings, I did not take heed and my body, especially the liver, has finally been permanently damaged by the alcohol.

My main question is: can I turn things around?  I have not had anything to drink since last Friday, and have no inclination to do so.  I am drinking a lot of water, fruit and vegtable juices, and eating healthily.  I will try to get some exercise, though I don't have much energy.

I'll see my regular GP next week, but could do with some advice and, if it's appropriate, some reassurance before then.

Thank you.

Gavin. 

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

Did you have withdrawal symptoms from alcohol? I too consume way too much alcohol to treat my depression. This has only happened for the last three months but I'm worried about stopping drinking as apparently the withdrawals can be bad.

How much were you drinking? Was it daily or just binges?

I hope you feel better soon. I'm sure that if there was a permanent problem with your liver that the doctor would have told you. I do know that the liver repairs itself so I'm sure you are on your way to recovery. You should be proud of yourself for detoxing on your own without any help.

• Posted

Hi jojob,

After my most recent binge, I just drank a lot of water and juices and bought some high dose Thiamine and other B-vitamins.

I was a moderate, social drinker for 25 years with no particular issues with it.

I started drinking heavily on a regular basis in August last year, to block-out depression, insomnia, and boredom  It was on most days, but with some gaps, and occasional short, heavier binges.  Then, I generally drank much less from November to February.  I started drinking heavily again in March this year.  Again, though, there were gaps, but there were also occasional binges.

In a typical week, I would say I was drinking two boxes of wine (4.5 litres or one gallon) of red wine and 1 litre/34 US ounces of spirits.  I'd estimate that's between 80-100 UK units.

I began to have regular, profuse sweats in June, but just thought it was withdrawal symptoms when I didn't have a drink.  I didn't think about the liver.

Then, in August, I started feeling tired all the time, with no energy, a poor appetite and other issues.  That's when I started to think about the liver.  I remember I drank a litre of spirits on 1 August, then drank much less than that for the rest of the month until 27-28 August, when, as I was sick of feeling tired, etc, I drank 2.5 litres of spirits (about 100 UK units) inside a 36 hour period.  I had alcohol poisoning and had to be admitted to hospital.  I also had a chest infection.

In hospital, I suddenly developed strange, visible physical symptoms: a painful purple skin rash on the chest; several bruises; dark patches on the back of both hands; darkening of the genitals; red palms; minor hair loss and thinning of hair.  I was in a panic, and was sure these sudden symptoms were due to liver disease.  A doctor on the ward agreed to do blood tests.  When these came back, he said they showed I do not have cirrhosis or hepatitis.

But, on my release from hospital, I continued to feel unwell (tired and weakish) and saw my GP.  He talked me through blood tests and said I did not have cirrhosis, but needed to stop the binges.  He also said I didn't need scans.  However, as I continued to feel unwell and was sure that something was wrong, I arranged an ultrasound for kast Thursday.  This showed a fatty liver.  The radiologist said she could not see any signs of cirrhosis, but couldn't rule it out.

I was and am devastated, even though I was sure that the radiologist would see a problem with my liver - which she did.

I continue to feel really tired, weak and achy.  I'm sleeping badly, even with taking a prescribed sleeping pill.  My hair on my head and body is brittle, and my skin is unusually oily.

I got bloods taken again on Tuesday and see my GP again tomorrow, but not sure if that will achieve much.

I should say that I have also been taking various prescribed meds for depression and anxiety, and I know that some of these are not good for the liver.  I fear that taking them and excessive alcohol for the past few months has been a dangerous combination and has damaged my liver.

Have you had any blood tests?  I don't imagine that drinking heavily for 3 months would cause a serious or permanent problem to your liver, but blood tests might show if it is being affected at all.

I would love if I knew my liver was going to be OK, and if I could go back to moderate social drinking again, but I'm not sure if that's going to be possible.  If my liver is badly damaged, I will just have to avoid alcohol and hope for the best.

• Posted

Hi how much h werecu drinking a day, just be honest bcz per week is a bit complicated, Gav,
    • Posted

Hi Richard,

I actually started a new thread, which brings things up-to-date.

I've tried to be completely open and honest about my drinking - I assured my doctor of this when I was with him this morning.

When drink is involved, it's hard to be exact because I sometimes lost track of what I was buying and consuming.  However, on average, from last August to this July, I estimate I was buying (and consuming) two 2.25 litres boxes of red wine (about 60 UK units) and one large bottle of spirits (about 40 units) per week.  So, that's about 100 units in total.

Now, it wasn't every week - and I had a long gap of generally moderate drinking from November last year to February this year - but it was that amount for many weeks.  I also generally drank less last month, but DID drink about 50 units in one day at the start of the month, and about 100 units in two days at the end of the month.

There is no doubt that the liver has been affected - we know this because the ultrasound showed it to be fatty, and liver function tests showed raised enzymes in bloods taken very soon after heavy drinking episodes, and much lower enzyme results when bloods were taken during much more moderate drinking.

I don't think things have been helped by some medications I am on: some of these are not liver-friendly and, when I started taking them last year before my drinking first got heavy, the liver enzymes were already raised compared to how they had been before.

Anyway, now you know.  Take a look at the newer thread and today's update ....

Cheers,

Gavin.

• Posted

You can have hair loss and skin irritations due to stress. You are doing a brilliant job thinking positively and getting off the alcohol. I wish I could say the same.

Last night I was sleep walking and punching the bed apparently. My complex ptsd has really hit home recently and I dont know where to turn. People like you influence me and make me feel stronger. Maybe I can stop self-medicating too. At the moment, I dont think I can but I've booked myself in to see my doctor and I will get help.

Be proud of yourself.

My friend had liver failure due to alcohol and she lost all of her hair. She didn't have a rash or any other symptoms. She stopped drinking and her hair grew back. She's amazing now, good job, daughter. BUT she is constantly telling everyone to not self-medicate. If you do self-medicate with alcohol then the antidepressants dont work.

If only I could take her advice. At the moment I feel like hell and feel ready to jump. I'm sure it will pass.

Good luck to you Gav. Keep me posted on how you do.

• Posted

I don't know that I'm "thinking positively".  I'm terrified that I have developed cirrhosis after the several months of heavy drinking, combined with taking prescribed meds that I know are not good for the liver.

I can only sleep with the aid of a sleeping pill, and each day seems like an eternity as I can't get cirrhosis and other problems in life out of my mind.

Many have admised that several months of heavy or very heavy drinking could have an effect on the liver, but would not be enough to cause cirrhosis.  But I have had such unpleasant symptoms and am feeling so unwell that I just can't be reassured.  Some liver function tests have shown elevated liver enzymes, and then the ultrasound a week ago showed (at least) a fatty liver.

Life used to be so straight-forward ....

• Posted

How are you feeling now? Have any of your symptoms subsided?
    • Posted

Hi gav44887, how are you feeling, u have been quite for a while, l hope u are doing fine, have your results improved as yet, wish u well.
    • Posted

Hi Richard,

I've been much the same - basically, I feel like I have the flu but without the cough and runny nose.

I felt so unwell last Monday that I called the 'out-of-hours' GP and he said to go to the hospital to get checked-out.  There, I had blood and urine samples taken, the doctor physically examined me and said everything in the tests was normal.

I had a routine appointment with my a GP yesterday and she again said that I do not have cirrhosis, just a fatty liver.  She said that I simply could not have cirrhosis with a platelet count of 387,000 and good Albumin, Bilirubin and clotting numbers.

I got bloods taken to test for tyhroid problems and prolactin.

My anxiety anddepression about this are terrible.  I have become withdrawn from friends and activities because I am so sure that my liver is badly damaged.

:-(

• Posted

Hi l am glad u doing OK, with the liver, do u have any hobbies to keep your mind off , worrying about your liver, what do u do in the mornings, afternoon, evenings to go through the day.
    • Posted

Hi jojo,

No, I still feel tred, a bit weak, poorish appetite, whole body aches, dizzyish at times and with noticeable thinning of hair on head, face and body.

Doctors keep telling me that I do not have cirrhosis, but they're going on blood tests, and an ultrasound that showed fatty liver - an ultrasound that they said I did not need!

I'm still convinced it's much worse than fatty liver - most of what I've read says tat fatty liver is common and mostly symptomless.

Gavin.

• Posted

I don't know gav,just when I rang the surgery to get the results of my tests they said everything was normal,I know I had a clotting test
    • Posted

I am not an expert in this by any means, but my understanding of yellowing of the skin or eyes - jaundie - is caused by excess bilirubin.  Bilirubin is usually measured as part of a liver function test so, if it was normal, you shoudl not have jaundice.

Others may have a more detailed or more accurate answer for you, Nicole.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.