Strange reactions to Fluoxetine or am I going crazy? Help.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys! I could really do with some insight at the moment. Not been doing great at all.

I had been prescribed 20mg of Fluoxetine for anxiety, depression and OCD.

First week of taking the medicine I seemed okay - second week came and it's like I turned into an absolutely crazy person. Here are some side effects I've been experiencing:

Intense Increased Anxiety - My anxiety has been unbelievably high even more so than before starting the medication. It got to the point where I was having panic attacks in the middle of the night and early hours of the morning.

Increased Intrusive Thoughts

Blurred Vision - This has been worrying me the most. My eyes cannot focus and there's been time my eyesight has gone completely blurry.

Dizziness

Increased racing thoughts/genuinely feeling delusional and paranoid - My mind has been thinking delusional thoughts and I feel like I'm going crazy. I have also become hyper-aware of existence. Have been ruminating over existential concepts which is increasing my anxiety. If I delusional thought pops in my head, I'm able to brush it off until ''what if?'' keeps popping up and I'm back to square one

Insomnia - I have been struggling to sleep throughout the night

Increased Need to Urinate

Feeling sick and cannot stomach food

My doctor wanted me to come off the medication so I've stopped taking them and we are looking into something else.

I still feel really rubbish and I'm worried that I've had a psychotic break or something. Has anyone else had this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi There

I have been prescribed 20mg fluoxetine in October and i have exctly as you have described.

week 1-2 nothing at all some kind of betterweek 3-6 crazy side effects - lost of appetite(lost 6 kilos), anxiety worse than before medications, insomnia, cramps, racing heart, frequent urination, night sweats, intrusive thoughts - thats all happens when your brain start to adjust to medication - it feels like you are going crazy. But because you already have anxiety, the fear of these feelings is adding even more anxiety..

Every week those side effects getting less and less. It is very hard, but its normal, you are not going crazy 😃

I am on week 15 now and i still have my anxiety in the morning but nothing compare as it was at the beginning.

You should keep going with meds and dont stop, it will get better 😃

• Posted

And yes, the reason why you feeling bad not - its withdrawal symptoms, you should not stop meds "cold turkey". And you do not have psychotics brakedown , even if it feels as one 😃

Withdrawal sysmptoms will pass, but thats the problem, i think all antidepresants are giving some kind of side effect until your body adjusting to them..

• Posted

I'm literally going through the same thing and its been rough. I dont know if i should stop or keep pushing. Ever since i started the attacks wont stop. I'm on day 13.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.