Strange sensation 9 months post total abdominal hysterectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone here post-op have a sensation that I can only describe as walking around with a carrier bag attached to my front? It's not painful just a but unnerving and a bit uncomfortable. I do get backache regularly too - and I don't know if it's linked. I still have a fair bit of numbness around the scar site, which may add to it - any thoughts????

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Glennie. Have you had any physio since your op? Been advised on how to strengthen your stomach muscles? Pelvic girdle. Just a thought as it sounds as though your muscles are loose. Hope you find something to help x
    • Posted

Thanks Maisie,

No physio - none offered - in fact no hospital appointments post-op - end of! I do some back exercises and pelvic floor stuff I was shown about 18 months ago when I saw physio for back problems (turned out I had a fibroid- hence hysterectomy) -  but I have a big cut from side to side (huge bikini cut) so I am very wary. This feeling comes on when I am walking or standing for any time - also when I need the toilet. I think I need to see my GP and ask! Could be nerve damage I suppose - still numb in parts!

• Posted

Yes if it was me I would see your GP, explain your concerns, and ask if it's ok to start exercise. (It could be loose skin or muscles) Then I would suggest Pilates. Find a class that suits your age group. I like Body Control Pilates. My teacher is a previous physio and tailors the moves to your body concerns and is very careful not to strain your back or tummy. If you find their website they will have a list of teachers in your area. Good luck, hope it improves. x

• Posted

Hi Glennie68, I know it's taken me a long time to reply - hiccup with laptop! I too experience this sensation, scribed it to my Doc as 'carrying a ball in the front' and it drop when I stand up from sitting, or when I've been standing some time. There's nothing wrong, had a scan, but it's strange and uncomfortable isn't it? I'm still a wee bit numb, but that's getting better, and am assured that it will go.  Sorry to hear about your backache, and pray you'll soon be better. p.s. I'm 74 and had my op in June 16.  Good luck,

• Posted

Problems with my fingers now! I had my operation ON June 16th, but it was last year not 2016! Didn't want you to think the symptoms lasted that long! Hope things have improved for you Glennie, best wishes

• Posted

Thanks Dorothy, I have made appointment to see my GP - had my op April last year. I am 49 - and have been pretty active post-op - work full time - although office based - so nothing too physical to make things worse! I do wonder if my inside nerves can feel - but my outside skin is still numb. May ask for some physio too - as my muscle tone is not good!  Hope you feel better soon - and get them fingers looked at!
  • Posted

Glad your going to see your GP, it will put your mind at rest.. I persevered with my GP, as I really don't think they could grasp how the sensation made me feel. When the scan showed nothing, they put it all down to being muscular, so although it is uncomfortable at times, I know there's nothing else going on. I don't work as such any more, but have quite a busy life, but I wouldn't have it any other way so I just avoid heavy tasks (leave that to the children!) bless em. Oh, and yes, I will get my fingers sorted!! Best wishes x

• Posted

Hi Glennie68, it's been some time since we posted, I just wondered how you were doing? I hope you had some satisfaction from your GP and it gave you peace of mind. I thought I would be over it after scans showed nothing, but I am still feeling like I'm dragging something round in the tummy, and it's beginning to be a bit painful.It's not all the time, but at some point each day, so it's another appointment with the GP (if I can get in!!). Best wishes to yo, hope your in a good place.

• Posted

Hi Dorothy,

My GP was very good - I had other issues as well as the baggy feeling - we both think that could be bowel related - so I am getting checked for that and physio for my back. If things are not right and cause you pain you have to get it checked! Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.