Strange sensation in head brain - what does a stroke FEEL like?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Some time ago I had a strange sensation which I cannot find the medical language to describe.

It was a rapid pulsing sensation without pain which lasted for several minutes. A week or so later I had a similar sensation which had a slower rhythm and lasted less than a minute. Nothing since.

I've had a CAT scan which found nothing (surely a problem in itself).

I've been on Sertraline since July 21, after complaining of chronic brain fog and sensation of pressure. My GP has dismissed it as a side effect of that.

Has anyone out there experienced similar sensations and particularly had them correctly diagnosed?

And does my description sound like what a stroke/TIA feels like?

Thanks in anticipation,

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

What you experienced might be pulsatile tinnitus, which is malfunction between the venous and arterial blood vessels. The pulsing sensation occurs when the blood flows from the high pressure arteries to the low pressure veins.

The symptoms of stroke include numbness of the face and limbs (especially on one side). Other symptoms include difficulty speaking and understanding.

Low grade pulsatile tinnitus is usually harmless, but high grade pulsatile tinnitus can lead to serious health conditions.

If the pulsing feeling returns, consult a doctor.

• Posted

Although it was not an audible event. I'll keep it in mind and look into it in more detail.

Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.