Strange sensation lower buttocks - what it is

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, we had a discussion a few weeks ago (which I can't now find) about the experience of tingling or trembling sensations at the lower end of each buttock and for some folk a feeling of being kicked between the legs from behind (it can be so strong and out of the blue you actually look behind you to see who did it, even when you're on your own!). At the Pain Clinic (for physical injuries) this week they told me this is the pelviic floor muscles going into spasm, it is associated with the menopause and really only needs referral to doc if unremitting - but is worth mentioning anyway next time you go. Hope this helps smile

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve runs down tour back n splits off to each side of tour butt and runs down your legs. Injuries to the back causes sciatic nerve problems. There are different treatments for it. I dont have health insurance so i take an anti-inflammatory, naproxen (aleve)
    • Posted

Hi, I also have sciatica (chronic) radiating from an existing lower back injury so this 'buttock thing' was new to me. The Pain Clnic consultant showed me the two sets of muscles on screen and they are quite separate but they are both 'swagger muscles', i.e. they have a long reach so when pain (spasm) hits, it travels a long way. Have you tried a TENS machine? I've just got one and it might well be helping... good luck smile
  • Posted

Pudental Neuralgia ,that like Sciatica and in the pelvis region ,if so whatever you do ,do not try and do Kegels exercises ,worst possible exercises will tighten buttock and Pelvis muscles more . I've got it ,yes I believe all menopause related .painful to sit and stand , plus you can get Vulva pain ,it's mostly all linked up . Try ice cold packs for pain ,mine goes down back of legs from buttocks . It's hard to get a correct diagnosis . 
    • Posted

You just described what I've been feeling to the T we have identical symptoms I believe it is menopause related drives me crazy
  • Posted

Ah good to know, had it once, did an epsom salt bath, treated myself gently, because that pain is just awful. It took about 3 days for the pain to finally subside completely. Haven't had it since that one time, and hopefully won't have it again.
  • Posted

I dont believe it is menopause related because both men and women get it and there are numerous possible causes for pudendal neuropathy. Some of the possible causes are an inflammatory or autoimmune illness, frequent infections, tension on the nerve, a nerve entrapment similar to carpel tunnel syndrome, or trauma to the nerve from an accident/fall, exercise, childbirth, prolonged sitting, or surgery. Sometimes there is no apparent explanation and some doctors have theorized that the problem can be hereditary due to a musculoskeletal predisposition. Occasionally the problem originates in the spine or sacral area rather then the peripheral pudendal nerve.

Pudendal neuralgia can be caused by inflammation of the nerve or by mechanical damage/trauma to the nerve. Sometimes the pain develops slowly and is almost imperceptible at first, sometimes preceded by paresthesia in the area innervated by the pudendal nerve. Paresthesia is a “pins and needles” sensation or a feeling of prickling, numbness, and tingling.

• Posted

Men have hormones ,why when have Postate problems down below their put on HRT . No hormones no need for HRT ,my uncle was on HRT tablet form ,he had severe hot flushes ,never not had a fan on him even in winter . Im on a site for Pudental ,what those ladies don't know about it ,from the research and treatments . Eye opener education wise . They know far more than their own drs enough to educate them . Men are also on this site . Few females on there have gone onto HRT as myself . 

It's a mystery for sure , and no fun enduring it constantly . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.