Strange shingles symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I desperately need some insight. I have been dealing with shingles for the past 4 months. I had a difficult pregnancy with my third baby (undiagnosed diabetes). My baby ended up in the NICU for a week. Needless to say it was a crazy and stressful time and 6 months later I am nursing and getting no rest. I had my first shingles outbreak at the end of August. It was relatively mild, went on Valtrex and it resolved in a couple weeks. Three weeks later I woke up with itchy spots on my panty line of right leg.  The spots were different however as there were 4-5, but after a half hour they went away. Then the bumps appeared on my breast and once again disappeared after a half hour again. I went to my dr and started on Valtrex again. Two days After that course was finished I experienced tingling all over and then again had a few red itchy bumps appear then went away after a half hour. I had a slew of bloodwork done (none for autoimmune issues though) and things looked fine. I have been on suppressive therapy since. Recently I began experiencing tingling all over my body and lots of exhaustion-2 weeks later I started getting one or 2 bumps in random spot on different parts of my body. Once again, these bumps seem to be fluid filled but they disappear within a half hour. My dr said this is an ‘id’ reaction. But the virus is still active in me. Any thoughts on why the bumps come and go quickly and aren’t the typical blisters??

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have no idea why you have had the bumps come and go like they do. I have had shingles twice and have had pthem try to come on several other times but I start the meds as fast I I feel the first symptom. What I wonder is why your doctor has not given you the shingles shot. They even have a new shingles shot coming out. Good luck. Diane. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

I am 56 years old and have similar symptoms and have found a combination of therapies has helped. I do Kundalini Yoga (a DVD entitled Kundalini Yoga for a strong nervous system), acupuncture biweekly, I take Chinese herbs prescribed by a Chinese doctor, Manuka honey NPA 15 + MGO 514+ (2 teaspoons per day, 1 teaspoon of Black seed oil (build up to 1 teaspoon per day) and medication when necessary. I have also read tumeric (combined with black pepper for better absorption) can help but you shouldn't take it if you have gall problems. I never take the Chinese herbs when I am on the anti-viral medication. I have had shingles for the past 8 months and I find if I do all these things I can work and do most things but I have found if I over exert myself the symptoms return. So, although, it must be really hard for you to rest having 3 children it is essential to your recovery. I hope this helps, I do feel a lot of empathy for you.

Ruby55

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Ruby55,

Thank you so much for the advice. I have been trying to eat better and making sure to take supplements. I also want to do yoga to help relax and a dvd is perfect for me since i don’t have much time to get out. Will definitely look up your suggestion!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Sha,

Is the Physician who diagnosed the id reaction a dermatologist?

The vesicle-blisters that are occurring now are not Shingles.

Shingles does not come and go.Id reactions are not well understood, but are eczematous reactions when your immune system is recovering from often a viral, bacterial, or fungal disease. It certainly could be an id reaction, but if you are unsure, I would go to a dermatologist.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Merry,

First I want to thank you so much for all the knowledge and care you provide on this forum. I have read so many of your posts and it has helped explain a great deal and put me at ease when my anxiety has been through the roof! 

Yes it is my dermatologist who I’ve been working with around my shingles and these reoccurrences. She diagnosed them as the id reactions. Since they come up in little patches all over but come nand go. However, before I get the crops I feel the same type of symptoms-achy, exhaustion, pins and needles all over. I am on suppressive therapy for a total of 6 months. Do you know much about id reactions? How long they last? ARe meds helpful for Id reactions? I do not want to take meds and was hoping to stop before 6 months and try to control things with my diet-unfortunately getting enough rest very difficult. I have been doing high lysine low arginine based on your advice. Thank you so much again!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sha,

Actually, as you are seeing a dermatologist, I am relieved. Since you were pregnant, your immune system is hyper-reactive, and you are experiencing Shingles type reaction. The best way to treat the Id reaction is to treat the underlying cause ie Shingles. Are you having pain and/or itching at these sites? If so, do you take or apply any medication topically for these symptoms?

Are you breastfeeding?

Congratulations on the birth of your baby!

Hopefully you and the baby and family are thriving now. (except for the shingles and id reaction)

I would definitely have a medication to soothe the symptoms ie itch or pain whenever the rash appears.

Also, I would ask the dermatologist to check your vitamin D level. It is probably fine as you are of child-bearing age, but individuals with low Vitamin D levels have impaired immunity. Mine was 14, and since I started on Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily and the High Lysine Low Arginine diet for the past 8 months, I have not had a major Shingles episode.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Merry,

Yes, I am breastfeeding. That is part of the reason why I wanted to stop meds-hate the thought of baby getting meds through milk even though it’s a very small percentage. My dermatologist, Pediatrician and a friend who is a nephrologist have all assured that it is fine to continue nursing but I still worry.  I am taking 500mg of Valcyclovir daily. I do experience itching when the randomly located bumps appear, but once they go away i don’t feel itching anymore. However before these little crops of bumps that come and go appear I can experience tingling for days or weeks prior. Feel very tired as well.

I also had my vitamin D checked, it was at the high end of insufficient so nothing terrible but I have increased my daily intake to 2000 iu as well as increased B12, calcium and vitamin c. Stress is always a bit high as I am a worrier and my oldest daughter has special needs-but hoping to start up yoga to try to calm down. Will also continue with the high lysine diet.

Thank you again for all your help and kind words-so happy to hear you haven’t had an outbreak in 8 months! Wishing you the best always.

Sha

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Merry

I have just read that you haven't had an outbreak for 8 months-that is fantastic news. You have probably discussed this before but I can't seem to locate where -do you mind sharing exactly how you have been able to rid yourself of the shingles outbreaks? Thanks for your time

Ruby

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up