Strange side effects or withdrawl?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had anxiety with panic attacks since I was a young kid.  I started self medicating with alcohol in my teens, was drinking a fifth a day to stay even in my 20s, and have been in good recovery for about 10 years. I am now 37.   I finally got on Prozac (60mg/day) about 10 years ago, with Lorazepam (.5 - 1mg) as needed, and things seemed to get better, but there was still some generalized anxiety and panic attacks every once in a great while, likely related in part to the alcoholism.  About 3 years ago I started self medicating again with massive amounts of Benzos every day.  Anywhere from 10 - 30mg of Ativan on a daily basis.  This became another addiction that was active for the last 3 years.  February 2018 I came clean with my doc.  He currently has me on 10mg/day Valium help with the benzo dependence/craving.  I have been following this instruction very well for about 2 months now.  Also on 60/mg Prozac, and 60 mg Cymbalta in hopes of finally squashing the anxiety issues and fight the desire to self medicate.  Been on this regiment for close to 2 months.  We worked up from 20 to 40 to 60mg Cymbalta over about a month.

Now My Concern  -  For the last week or so I have had very odd, either side effects, or simply anxiety issues.  I feel fine when I wake in the morning.  By mid-morning I am having a very hard time focusing my vision.  The best way I can describe it is like when you have drank too much and simply cant lock on to something in order to focus.  At times large words 10 feet in front of me may be hard to read. This will get better and worse throughout the day When I close my eyes there is no noticeable issue. There is anxiety with this for the fact that it is unpleasant, but it does not drive me into a panic, which kind-of makes me think the meds are helping.  I'd just like to know what is causing this, and if I should ride it out or ask the doc to lower my dosages.  Has anyone else had similar issues on any or all of these meds?  Is it at all normal to be taking 60mg Prozac AND 60mg Cymbalta at the same time?  Is this likely just the effect of no longer taking benzos in high dose every day?

My thought are that it's either

--Post acute withdraw from benzos. 

--Medication side effects.  (I never had side effects with Prozac alone)

--A new way anxiety is presenting itself in my life!

Any comments would be welcome.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Can I just say, your body wasn't made to cope with any dose of chemicals. Tablets, substances ...., flwethee prescribed or not is not good for your body. Just because a doctor can prescribe something doesn't mean it's okay. Your body and brain chemistry is probably suffering and nobody will be able to pinpoint what's going on with what. I personally think, you need to get therapy and deal with the underlying issues that cause you to have an addictive personality and anxiety. Until you throw yourself into therapy, you'll spend your life masking you inner problems with chemicals in some form. Join a gym and go everyday. Get therapy and go every week. Read about diet and talk to your doctor. Prozac was okay for me to, then after a while I was seeing people in my bedroom! I don't drink I don't take drugs and I don't take prescription medication. I go to the gym and I researched diets and I attend therapy. I've never been happier ........ x

• Posted

Run everyday, as soon as you feel anxious or your getting anxiety. Run run run. Exercise, talk and find things that make you happy. Chemicals won't help you long term, only you can help you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.