Strange sleep disturbance symptom.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, just wondering if anyone shares my weird new symptom? If I'm aware of falling asleep, and think 'oh yes, I'm drifting off,' I sometimes experience what I can only describe as a 'surge.' I'm suddenly wide awake, with a feeling of almost panic, as though I want to jump out of bed, or scream, or something. It is only momentary, and there are no accompanying physical symptoms such as racing heartbeat, or hyperventilation,which would make me think either it's an adrenalin surge, or too much caffeine. I don't feel scared, and it lasts a matter of seconds, but takes me ages to go back to sleep again. Anyone have anything similar, or am I just weird?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have had similar. I take 3 Vitastore valerian root tablets an hour before bed. They help a lot.
  • Posted

i get it from time to time i sleep in my recliner for the first part of the night

and to wake up on occasions with a start and wonder where i am and what time it is

like you said it dosent last long 

and is just another symptom one of many of fibro 

• Posted

I get a  funny surge too, when I dose off in the lounge room ...it's really weird when I go to bed I have to really work on dosing off ...must be yet another Fibto beauty..rolleyes) xxx
  • Posted

I get a feeling like you get at the top of a swing I call it "Weightlessness" where I wkae with a sudden jump. I can also get this when I am awake walking or sitting.

It is like a sudden blip very hard to explain

• Posted

I too have experienced the same thing, it can be so frustrating. Lately ive just ben experiencing a surge of what seems to be an alert clarity and then I start to drift off again after about a minute. I take benadryl at night so maybe thats keeping me from getting that full affect of panic awakeness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.