strange symptoms doctor thinks gall bladder I dont agree

Posted , 7 users are following.

Okay here we go I'm 28 year old male. The last 2 years have been a roller coaster with no answers it started 2 years ago I had yellow loose stools that looked like food wasnt being digested and pain in my abdominal. They did a abdominal Ct scan came back normal they then did a colonoscopy didnt find anything said eh it's probably ibs. So I decided to ignore it pain came and went stools remained abnormal. Then last December I started having trouble swallowing certain foods and heart burn so they did a endoscopy and a barium swallow only thing they came back with was a mild hiatal hernia. About month later my abdominal pain is now getting worse. Usually on lower parts of ribs or below it with tenderness on both sides the pain which used to come and go is now constant as far as the pain scale goes most of the time it ranges 2-5 (10 being the worst) eating and breathing dont have any effect on it doesn't make it better or worse the only time it doesn't hurt is when I'm asleep they did a ultrasound came back normal said I have kinda fatty liver but weren't concerned they then had me do a chest ct scan to see if it was my chest or lungs came back fine they said I had one nodule in upper right of lung but was extremely small and think it is benign I've been to E.R. twice now they have checked my blood and everything says normal. I went to my doc and they want to do HIDA scan she believes its my gall bladder cause of tenderness under right rib but I have tenderness on left as well? I now have been experiencing lower back pain as well for last 5 days. Does any of this or time period even remotely sound like gallbladder cause I'm not convinced. Almost all my symptoms and test dont seem to super fit with gallbladder any info would be greatly appreciated

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Let me ask you this? I know it isn't by any means exact but do my symptoms sound anything like a pancreas problem?

I appreciate all the feed back I truly am trying to solve this however I guess I'm kinda at a cross roads here do I go with removing gallbladder or do I push for pancreatic problems which at the moment my docs refuse to believe it has anything to do with my pancreas I know the choice is ultimately mine just trying to make the best educated decisions with info available

• Posted

As somebody who had their gallbladder removed, I would say do as much testing as you can before you remove an organ. It wouldn't hurt to do a EUS just to double check there is no inflammation going on with the pancreas. 

my 2 cents

• Posted

Everyone will have different symptoms but the main thing for me was the debilitating pain, nausea, vomiting, itching and weight loss. I’m kinda used to pain and I have other medical conditions. I was already on pain medication and the medication never touched my pancreatitis pain when I was having an attack. Furthermore, most people have to be diagnosed with acute pancreatitis before they are diagnosed with chronic (not always the case but that’s usually how it works). Due to your age, it’s unlikely you have pancreatitis unless you have a family history, cystic fibrosis or Pancreas Divisum (PD is rare, only 5-10% of the population are born with it and it’s not normally discovered until autopsy). If you’re a heavy drinker then it’s possible but you would have had to be an alcoholic for many years and be drinking the hard stuff for it to be chronic. Another thing is you would be vomiting undigested food. Waking up in the middle of the night in horrible pain and puking whatever you ate for dinner. I wake up around 3am and puke what I ate at 7pm. The pain that’s associated with chronic pancreatitis is a little hard to describe. The pain is definitely debilitating and you definitely need to go to the ER but the pain is so bad that regular pain medication doesn’t work, they give ketamine to help with pain (dependent upon the stage of your pancreas and the hospital). I don’t suffer from classic symptoms and I don’t get diarrhea, I’m the opposite. I would pay attention to color because clay/pale stools are a sign that the bile isn’t flowing through correctly. I would also be screened for food intolerances. As we age, we become susceptible to developing intolerances. I’m now lactose intolerant and I wasn’t before. If you haven’t had the celiac disease blood test I would get screened, that’s an autoimmune disease which wrecks havoc on your stomach and causes abdominal pain. It’s also hereditary and you can develop it at any age. The doctors will be quick to dismiss the pancreas especially given your age. I don’t have any organs I don’t need left, so there wasn’t much left to rule out. If you’re eating a low fat and sugar diet and you’re still experiencing pain then I would be asking for a second opinion. Even with gallbladder removal you need to be on a low fat diet or else you will get sick. 
  • Posted

Hi, just wondering if you ever figured out what was going on? I have very similar symptoms and am currently going through the process of trying to get a diagnosis. I have had CT, Sonograms, and multiple blood panels and still no real answer. IBS what ive been told ,but im really not buying it. 
    • Posted

As of right now they believe it is being caused by a over active gall bladder, 3 doctors have told me that. im scheduled to have it removed on October 8th and will report back when I get that far. Once they have it removed and i go through the healing process I will update everyone if its cured , made it worse, or is the same! Hopefully it will fix my problem if it does maybe it will help you get yours fixed! Guess we will see
    • Posted

good luck-- a word of advice for after the surgery, you may want to stick to some bland foods while your system adjusts. I think it took my liver a while to figure out how to adapt, so my stools were off for a few months. 

Hope this is your fix and good luck!

• Posted

Hello all so I had gallbladder surgery and have had it removed successfully however so far it's been a really rough week. For starters I apparently have sleep apnea when I got out of surgery I was still feeling effects of anesthesia and was on lots of pain meds while I was sitting in recovery everytime I fell asleep I stopped breathing. So they hooked me up to oxygen and kept me for the night. This was October 8th Monday they released me the next day. That Wednesday I was at home resting and at 8pm I noticed my left outer thigh was numb and it wasnt going un-numb I called me surgeon he said keep a eye on it and let him know. 24 hours later still numb he recommends me to get checked out to be safe. So I go to the e.r. they ultra sound my leg find nothing tell me to come back if it gets worse. Tuesday night I go back to e.r. i now have pain in my calf and under my thigh and still have numbness in left thigh doctor looked at my leg again seemed very confident that it wasn't a blood clot they order MRI for low spine comes back normal....... its only been a week so I don't know if the gallbladder issue is resolved still healing. I still have trouble with my throat and swallowing now I need to do sleep study for sleep apnea and whatever the hell is going on with my left leg. I feel angry defeated and scared. I wish this post was gonna be alot more positive unfortunately not. Like always any info would be greatly appreciated.

Just to give a little more detail as far as leg goes outer left thigh numb constant. Achy pain started 3 days ago bottom under side of thigh under side of knee and top to middle part of calf. No swelling and no discoloration.

The only good part of this post as far as my gallbladder surgery goes I seem to be healing well at least from the actual surgery and surgery site.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.