Strange Symptoms for over a year

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

My name is Rachel. I will try to be as detailed as possible about the issues I am facing.

A little bit about my medical history:

• I am a 31 year old woman.
  • I do not smoke, or do recreational drugs. I occasionally have a beer or two, but I am not a heavy drinker.
  • I do not have diabetes, or a thyroid condition.
  • I do not have any forms of cancer.
  • I am not pregnant (I have an IUD) and I do not have children.
  • I was diagnosed with Long QT Syndrome last March and I now take beta-blockers (Metoprolol 25mg x2 daily) to control my heart rate. The cardiologists were not able to determine the cause of my arrhythmia, as it does not run in my family.
  • in my twenties, I suffered from depression and anxiety, but I currently do not experience any issues with mental illness.
  • the only medication I am on is Metoprolol for my arrhythmia

Since last summer, a few months after being diagnosed with my heart condition, I began experiencing strange symptoms. Please see the following:

• Last summer I began to have problems with my vision, to the point where I went back to my eye doctor less than a year after seeing them. They were unable to find any issues with my eyeballs themselves, or any notable issues with my vision. I purchased new glasses, hoping this would correct the issue, and this has had no effect.
  • I began to have intense pressure in my left eye. Numbness sometimes follows the pressure, notably around my mouth and jaw. This now occurs daily.
  • I see white flashing light in the corner of my right eye on a daily basis, and sometimes in my left eye. Again, I have had several eye exams completed and they found nothing wrong with my eyes.
  • On a daily basis, I experience travelling/burning pain in my arms and legs. I have never experienced pain like this before. The pain itself is not severe, but it is noticeable when it occurs. It is more noticeable when I am at rest, not when I am moving around.
  • My left arm (from my shoulder down to and including my hand) involuntarily twitches, spasms and tremors. This will sometimes happen on the right side, but it is mostly in the left arm. I do not have any prior injuries on that side of my body and the tremors are most noticeable when I am at rest.
  • I also occasionally experience tremors in my feet and legs, but not as often as my arm.
  • At times, the tremors will also occur in my face and jaw.
  • Numbness will occur in my face on a daily basis, lasts for several minutes and then fades away.
  • I suffer from sudden and extreme bouts of fatigue, regardless of the time of day, what activities I am doing, or what I have eaten. At times, the fatigue is very difficult to manage.

The steps I have already taken:

• I have a previous history of depressionand anxiety, but my mental health has been healthy for the last four years. I recently went to my former psychiatrist to rule out a panic/anxiety disorder and after several visits with him, he agreed with me that he does not feel these symptoms stem from mental illness.
  • my psychiatrist ordered an EEG to rule out seizure disorders and the results came back negative
  • I had a CAT scan (non-dye) completed at my local hospital which also came back negative for anything abnormal
  • I have an MRI scheduled for the end of June (this month)

I've had to really push my GP to get a referral to a neurologist, as they were convinced my symptoms were the result of anxiety. I now have a neurologist, and she has ordered an MRI but she does not seem overly concerned by my symptoms either. I am concerned this will not be treated seriously.

I want to be clear that I am not seeking a specific diagnosis. These symptoms are not going away, in fact, they are progressively getting worse. I just want to know what's going on. I hope someone can help me get to the bottom of this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i have friend who has quite few of few of the symptoms you have ! the eye problems lots of pressure/ pain around them and the jaw also fategue and arm and leg pain! hes had mri/ct scans seen ear nose and throat doctors and neurologist too! had a lumber puncture which came back negative and a test for lyme disease all negative .

He currently paying for a private lyme disease test witch is sent to Germany this has been going on over 18 months now ... he feels its some form of auto imune response ...sorry i could not be anymore help

• Posted

Might be a longshot, but I would suggest going to a good chiropractor and getting some xrays done (neck, jaw, spine etc get them all). My guess is your symptoms are caused by a cranial nerve impingement due to a structural misalignment. Would explain everything except the fatigue. Should be relatively inexpensive to do, and might yield some clues or results. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.