Strange symptoms scared of lymphoma - really anxious

Posted , 4 users are following.

So found out I had glandular fever July 17, thought it was clearing up lately. Had horrid neck pains for months, last few weeks not half as bad, sickness  and dizziness still most days and tiredness. Went out drinking Saturday night for my best friends 30th. Work up Sunday morning with the most horrific neck pain, Googled  and it said lymphoma can cause neck pain after drinking. So my bloods are all ok but I know it doesn’t always show until advanced in bloods. Still having voice issues, feels like nasal  drip, had an ultrasound of just my neck a few weeks ago. I usually struggle with pain on the right hand side but showed a gland up on the left. But within normal range whatever that means. I’m proper freaking out about lymphoma anyone have similar symptoms. Also the occasion bleeding when I blow my nose but I’ve had a cold at the time. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rosanna,

Oh I went through the same worries too....really want to reassure you that neck and gland pain is usually just a common part of the symptoms and recovery period of glandular fever, you have done the right thing going to get blood tests anyway and really hope that puts your mind at rest. Remember that over 75% of the western world's population have been infected by this virus at some point in their lives (usually in childhood), and it doesn't cause anything more serious in the vast vast vast vast majority of people. It scared me too to read those links, but really want to reassure you, I had a reactive gland that was enlarged and swollen and painful throughout the virus, but it was just part of the virus symptoms and although it can take time to go away and is unpleasant, it is normally just part of the course of the virus.

Hang in there and really thinking about you, there is nothing worse than that terrible worrying and sinking feeling, and remember it's a good thing your initial blood tests showed to be okay, take heart from that and remember things will get better and you will get better Rosanna, I really believe that thanks to God.

Craig

• Posted

I've read that lymphoma is a rare type of cancer. I was scared of it too because the virus that causes glandular fever (Epstein Barr) is a risk factor for developing it. But as far as I know it usually occurs some years after the infection and in people who have immune problems, although there could be a lot of other risk factors involved. I don't think that getting mono automatically gives you cancer.

In my case I'd always get muscular pain after drinking alcohol when I reached my mid-20's. I think alcohol made you feel a little bit sick but it'll pass. You've only had mono for 4 months, I guess your immune system is still getting used to it.

I found out that drinking plenty if water and resting makes me feel better when I have neck pain (I still have it from time to time after being sick with mono.)

If you develop persistent night sweats and fever (specially at night), sudden weight loss or swollen glands that keep growing, you should see a dr. But don't worry, I bet it's just the virus, so try to relax. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.