Strange undiagnosed condition causing extremely low ferritin levels

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a loved one who is anaemic and who has some undiagnosed condition that is causing very low ferritin levels for months with weakness and other symptoms.

I've already posted much of what's below in other forums, with no responses, so I'm re-posting it here.

I'm typing this on behalf of a loved one. She has been feeling sick and weak for at least months and has gone to several doctors with no diagnosis. The problem is that the doctors don't communicate or share medical records, or, they are myopic and can't make diagnoses that fall outside their specialty.

To get to the point, my loved one's ferritin level has dropped from 9 to 7 in a month ( It's supposed to be in the 16 to 255 range for healthy individuals ). My loved one's rheumatologist was concerned and sent her to a hematologist who did nothing. He instead recommended that she should have a colonoscopy, but none of her other blood work or tests indicated that she had any type of gastrointestinal bleeding and she doesn't have dark stools or occult blood. Since my loved one saw her rheumatologist, her ferritin level dropped 2 more points.

The sections of the blood work that are pertinent include the following :

"

Other blood results:

IRON AND TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY IRON, TOTAL Reference Range: 45-160 mcg/dL 67 - No Historical Data

IRON BINDING CAPACITY Reference Range: 250-450 mcg/dL (calc) 468 H

% SATURATION Reference Range: 16-45 % (calc) 14 L No Historical Data

MCH 25.3 L Reference Range: 27.0-33.0 pg

MCHC 30.6 L Reference Range: 32.0-36.0 g/dL

RDW 16.4 H Reference Range: 11.0-15.0 %

"

She's seen many doctors and none of them can seem to figure out what the problem is. We don't know quite what to do at this point.

Anyway, I hope this is the correct forum for my question.

If anyone has any recommendations, we'd be very grateful.

Thank you,

kbusby c/o jdb2

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

has she had endoscopy done? She might have internal bleeding that wont show up in stool. whats her actual iron levels

• Posted

@Diesel_Dummy

Thanks so much for your reply! 😃

She hasn't hadn't had a recent endoscopy -- the last one was about 5 years ago. As for the internal bleeding, her hematologist was kind of stupid and said that because her hemoglobin was i-range, she couldn't be bleeding, which I know is incorrect.

Her iron levels are as follows :

"

IRON AND TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY

Analyte

Value

IRON, TOTAL

IRON BINDING CAPACITY

468 H

% SATURATION

14 L

Reference Range: 45-160 mcg/dL

Reference Range: 250-450 mcg/dL (calc)

Reference Range: 16-45 % (calc)

FERRITIN

Analyte

Value

FERRITIN

9 L

Reference Range: 16-288 ng/mL"

She's also been experiencing extreme fatigue, restless legs, headaches and other symptoms which I can't recall at the moment.

Thanks and regards,

kbusby c/o jdb2

• Posted

Hi kbusby

I would guess that your loved one has iron deficiency anaemia. The cause can be anything from diet to bleeding (like polyps uterine or anywhere else etc) to inability to absorb iron to pregnancy.

Does you loved one eat meat. If not and on supplements vitamin c is needed to absorb. The only way to rule out everything else is through medical tests. Ask for copies of your results then copy for new doctors. Keep a record yourself.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

@jenny19687

Thanks for your reply 😃

"I would guess that your loved one has iron deficiency anaemia."

I'm not exactly sure, but she does have at least some anaemia, although I don't know if it's due to iron deficiency.

"The cause can be anything from diet to bleeding"

Yep. That's what makes the diagnosis so hard.

"(like polyps uterine or anywhere else etc)"

AFAIK, she doesn't have any kind of bleeding polyps.

"to inability to absorb iron"

I think her problem has something to do with this. I know the a ferritin deficiency can cause iron absorption properties.

"Does you loved one eat meat."

She mostly eats chicken and fish but not that much red meat.

"If not and on supplements vitamin c is needed to absorb."

I don't think she currently takes vitamin C supplements.

"The only way to rule out everything else is through medical tests. Ask for copies of your results then copy for new doctors. Keep a record yourself."

Thanks for the tip 😃

Regards,

kbusby c/o jdb2

• Posted

Forgot to add i am not a doctor. Everything should be checked with medical professionals.

• Posted

Is she experiencing heart palpitations along with her other symptoms???

• Posted

Is she experiencing heart palpitations along with her other symptoms???

I think so, yes.

Regards,

kbusby c/o jdb2

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.