Strategies for relieving Anxiety/Panic attacks?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have developed anxiety and panic attacks - GP prescribed 25mg sertraline for 3 weeks and now on day 5 of 50mg.  I've got serious insomnia and wake at 3-4am with panic attacks and anxiety and if i get back to sleep (seldom) i am awake by 5:30 and the anxiety is raging.  

Does anyone have suggestions for me on how to handle this middle of the night/early morning anxiety and panic?

thanks  CG

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i'd be interested in how people with anxiety are sleeping too.....thanks, jen
    • Posted

Hi I find weeks 3-5 are the worst for me with AD for anxiety and panic and I've tried a lot now back on paroxetine again which worked last time wonders wished I'd never come off them I have GAD btw and currently on 20mg building up to 40mg so I'm the same at the minute waking in the middle of the night it's hell then you feel terrible all day from

what I remember last time this fades around 6-8 weeks on stable dose and the sleep greatly improves so hopefully you will get there v soon take care xxxx

• Posted

There is no one size fits all for people with anxiety.  You are only on day 5 of taking AD's.  It can take up to 2 weeks for meds to start working, as it has to build up in your system.  It can take up to 6-8 weeks to fully work.  Are you seeking counseling?  Medications are not a cure all for anxiety and depression. We have to be part of the solutions to what ill us.  Finding ways to relax, guided meditation, yoga, exercise.  Getting highly involved in activities that we enjoy when time permits.  I highly recommend guided meditation it works. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice Michaela.  My GP will refer me to counselling once the meds are settled.  I am exercising and walking daily.  At night when i can't sleep i get out of bed and read to distract myself.  Guided meditation is next on my list to try.  I really appreciate your recommendations.  CG
    • Posted

Well you have a leg up on other people with sleeping problems.  You are doing the right thing to get out of bed when you can't sleep.  I had bouts with insomnia and found it best to get out of bed and do something till I was tired.  I read somewhere on the net, to make bed a place for sleeping only, especially if you have insomnia.  The exercise is another great thing, to burn off adrenaline from the anxiety.  Believe it or not I use aromatherapy in my room, while sleeping.   Lavender is recommended for calming and giving a sense of serenity.  Give it a try. 
  • Posted

I have the same problem, but I'm trtying not to do meds.

anyone have any other advice?

• Posted

jp have you tried going to a health store?  I would recommend that.  People there are specialized in herbs.  I have tried Kava Kava and valerian root in the past.  I am sure there is a combo of many herbs to help with stress and anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.