stress and anxiety :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. Just wondered how many of u also suffer from anxiety/stress aswell as IBD? I'm still awaiting diagnosis, not heard from the hospital since January and have no test results whatsoever. My anxiety has increased 10 fold recently, panic attacks, low moods etc. I had my eyes tested yesterday and got told to get my BP checked due to the veins in my eyes looking like my BP was up. I've had my BP done 3x recently and nobody has mentioned it aside from when I had my colonoscopy. The nurse was unsure if the machine was working right or if it was up. Either way she didn't seem concerned! Now I'm worried about this aswell sad It's just seems to be never ending all the waiting. Today I had pain so bad I had to sit still for 2 hrs until it passed. I'm at the end of my tether emotionally sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo I do suffer from stress and anxiety I also suffer severe

depression but it can be a pain when your waiting on a diagnosis but just so you know when they do diagnosis you they can tell

you its something else I was told it was IBS then it was IBD then it was ulcerative colitis now its crohn so you know. I know its

not nice having to wait cos that stresses you out to hope it all

go wells for you Jo good luck x

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Susan. I know, I've been told for a long time I have IBS, then appendicitis then IBS, now IBD. Who the hell knows what's going on. My pain today was where my missing appendix is! If I'd gone to the hospital I'm pretty sure they would have said I had appendicitis! I just feel so fed up. I darent mention it to the GP as I don't want signing off sick with stress as it will look bad on my work record sad x
    • Posted

Jo has your doctor given you buscopan there good for the

cramps I know the pain is really bad just try keep you chin up xx

• Posted

I take Mintec capsules (colpermin) once a day usually which seems to slow down my bowel and manage the cramps well. If it gets bad I up them to 3x a day but I've been on them so long it is usually under control. Unless of course I eat something my gut doesn't like. Last weekend I ate 2 biscuits, had terrible burning cramps and bouts of watery diarrhea. Had no idea what caused it so ate the biscuits again the day after. Needless to say, same result! Looked on the packet and they contained oats (big no no) and desiccated coconut (hell no!). I had to take immodium and up the mintec for 2 days to put me back on track sad x
  • Posted

Hello Jo,

I'm sorry that you are going through so much all at once. I know alot of people that go through stress and anxiety when they have a long term illness. I think it might be helpful finding ways to cope.  Yoga is one way as well as walking, getting as much rest as possible a proper diet packed with nutrients and vitamin b, or a hobbyto help take your mind of of it. These are just some of the ways to help eleviate stress and anxiety.

But until you get a proper dx it's hard not to feel stressed with the unknown.  I really hope that you recieve the care/answers soon.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately a good diet doesn't seem to be an option. Not if I want to carry on working! My main triggers are fruit and vegetables, I can only eat tinned carrots with no effect sad I long to eat nice healthy food but it leaves me in so much pain and gives me acute bouts of diarrhea. I work in a nursery and cannot leave the classroom as I'm in ratios, popping in and out isn't an option for me. I was looking at yoga yesterday, I might give it a try, I'm also hoping to return to swimming. The last year has just been so stressful sad x
  • Posted

Hi Jo,

If you can't tolerate fruits and veggies maybe a nutricous drink would help to provide you with the proper vitamins and minerals. I feel badly for you and know it isn't easy to deal with a chronic illness. I was thinking more along the lines of coping with the stress and anxiety of it but until you get things straightened out, take one day at a time and do what you feel you are up to or what appears to help. sorry that I can't be of more help.

• Posted

Hi Jo

I am sorry to hear about all the waiting and unanswered questions. I myself was left undiagnosed for seven years which caused servere anxiety and panic attacks to the point I couldn't leave the house. I finally decided to discuss my aniexty with my GP and they were very helpful. They gave me medication and offered me CBT which I'm currently waiting for.  

I also find that going on long walks in the park or just little things like a bubble bath can calm me down when everything it getting too much.

In addition to the following comments I find that trying to have a healthy diet difficult. I was told by my nurse that with my IBD having food containing high fibre (most fruit and veggies) aggravate my Crohns and causes cramps to be more servere. So I could only recommend low fibre foods for a while to see if the cramps improve.

good luck x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.