Stress and frozen shoulder?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Does anyone else think there is a link between stress and frozen shoulder, or is it just coincidence that the last 6 months have been extremely stressful and for four of those I have suffered with a stiff painful shoulder that has recently been diagnosed as FS ?

2 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I believe there are two types of FS, those brought on by physical injury and those like me who developed from stress hormones.  That said, for some reason my surgeon said there wasn't enough scar tissue built up to warrant surgery.  I was devastated at the news because I believed that would fix me, now I feel incredibly lucky so to speak because it made me find a better fix which I am reluctant to share because I don't think it is available to many.  Reading these posts made me feel like I wasn't crazy and I went to town on research.  I read everything I could and slowly started hanging and when I started, I didn't think I'd ever get there as it is an extremely tedious, slow and painful process.  In addition, I found a chiropractor who invented a tool that is somewhat like a drill that he would use to break up the scar tissue followed by chiropractic adjustments, extreme massage therapy, corrective exercise therapy followed by accupuncture.  After suffering from working and going to physical therapy for 4 months, I finally took a leave from work for 3 months and started the regimen above with 7 to 9 appointments a week and by God, I was able beat it proving my surgeon wrong who told me to find a good pychiatrist and anti depressants because it was going to be a very dark 8 months ahead of me.  Thank God I did not listen to him!

• Posted

If you look back through posts on Patient and other well known medical sites regarding the causes of Frozen Shoulders you will find the following.

Lack of use, overuse, poor biomechanics, autoimmune disease, trauma, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, calcific tendonitis, heart disease, stroke, tendonitis, lack of vitamin D and or B12, unfrienly gut bacteria. post operation wounds and now stress. Most interesting is that Duputrens contracture, pyrones disease and ledderhose's (plantar fibromatosis) were said to cause frozen shoulder. These three conditions and frozen shoulder run in the same families it seems. If you search for pathology of these conditions the cell changes are the same and or similar for all four. I cannot find references for similar finding for the other aforementioned causes or conditions.

Another interesting thought is that FS is only between  40 to 60 years and that nearly all the aforementioned  can happen at any age but don't cause FS fom 0 to 39  or 61 to 100.

• Posted

No stress here - but lack of hormones, due to cutting down on HRT, yes!  Having a badly frozen shoulder is itself stressful!  Mine was apparantly a classic primary frozen shoulder - i.e. no known cause - and not a secondary frozen shoulder after some sort of injury.  My consultant brushed off the hormone theory - but I am not entirely convinced.  My personal thought is that it isn't necessarily caused by lack of hormones but that lack gives us less chance of fighting off whatever does cause it in the first place.  Joint aches and pains are a known symptom at menopause and oestrogen has a role in maintaining collagen, which is what the shoulder capsule is made up from (and males have oestrogen too).   Frozen shoulder does occur in both sexes and other age groups but there is a definite spike in numbers in 40-60 year old females.  Maybe stress hormones have a similar effect - I don't know and haven't heard this idea before.  As no-one knows for certain, I wouldn't put down any (sensible) theory.

For me, hydrodilatation appears to have done the trick - two months on from the treatment I am pain free and regaining movement.  Some studies have compared hydrodilatation and MUA and found the former is at least as effective but with less complications.  The "no pain no gain" tearing physio that seems to be favoured in the US does not seem to be in favour in the UK (and I suspect not in Australia?).  Doctors and physios here have both told me to stop when it hurts - gentle stretching was what was recommended.   It doesn't make sense to me to tear at aleady inflamed and painful tissues and I fear it may prolong natural healing - I know if I overdid excercises it set me back.

Good luck Cindy - despite differences in approach to treatment, we all know what you are going though.  It's easy to be very negative but I think most recover eventually - including people who have had no treatment at all.

• Posted

I've been doing a lot of reading about stress and its impacts on the body. I think mental, emotional, or physical stress impairs the function of the adrenal gland. This causes fatigue among other symptoms. Adrenal stress along with nerve compression and/or lower neck disc pathology make the body more susceptible to developing frozen shoulder. Then all it takes it one shoulder strain or injury to set in motion the inflammation which leads to frozen shoulder.
    • Posted

Hi Shoulderer,

I would have perhaps thought that as we aged past 60 or 70 or older that the adrenals would be compromised even more and that our cervical spine would be beyond hope. In addition shoulder joints in our dottage would be banged up with regularity. But no FS for the over 60s. Fortunately the oldies may only get a bit of easily helped traumatic arthritis in our shoulders but again over 6o no frozen shoulders. Speaking to my own therapist she says that little can be done initially for FS but traumatic and surgically induced stiff shoulder should be treated sooner rather than later for a good results. The pathology for a truly frozen shoulder is entirely different from a trauma or surgically induced stiffness. Unfortunately doctors and PTs seem to be calling any painfull shoulder frozen much to the detriment of the sufferer.

Maria 58724 is, on reading her posts a true blue FS sufferer!

• Posted

So sorry everyone here has FS!  YES, I also was going through an extremly stressful time and then..for no reason, the FS got me about six months ago. I am 40 and have had type 2 Diabetes for 20 years. My understand is that FS is a complication, but I firmly belive this was partly stress induced this painful FS-jerk lol. 

Guess we all are being forced to slow down. 

• Posted

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've been suffering quite bad recently , and to be honest., just when I thoughtI was going into the "frozen stage" as the pain seemed to be subsiding .bang there goes the pain again!! Yes I believe that having diabetes increases your risk of FS, I have a belief that hormone imbalance has an effect too as I think I'm in early stages of the menopause , I'm soon to be 48.. I'm 5 months in to this awful condition and as I am otherwise fit and well I thought I may be able to get through the process a little quicker but I think I may of been kidding myself sadly.. I hope you feel better soon

Cindy

• Posted

Hi Cindy,

I have the exact same thing happen to me. The FS seems to be in the "frozen" stage, then kicks back up again with that unberable pain.  I personally thik it's part of the process we are being forced through with our shoulders.  I hope you are feeling more stabelized. I had a flare up last week too. I am about 5 or 6 months into this to, so we must be on about the same timeline Cindy. 

Are you trying alternitive medicine too? I am jucing organic kale, spinich and any other anti-inflamitory I can get my hands on. Drinking strong organic Tumeric and ginger tea, found that at Meijers. Also taking cherry pills. Something has to knock this out. 

• Posted

Hi (sorry don't know your name ?) , yes I'm trying the alternative route , I am taking Paracetamol,but, I declined the Naproxen due to the side effects, and I do try to eat clean 80% of the time. I've tried the ginger and tumeric and lemon combo. I have now started taking magnesium and vitamin D. I've tried a steroid injection and I've had deep massage with an Osteopath , even accupuncture.. But none of it has seemed to work ,,, like you said we have to go through the process. I'm trying healing next week, Tuesday , I'll let you know how that goes.. I am just so reluctant to put myself through surgery, as I know it will come to an end eventually ,,, the question is am I strong enough to see it through .. Take care and hope you have a settled night, I find the nights the worst.

Cindy

• Posted

Hey Cindy,

Boy, none of that heped very much huh? I have tried a few of those myself. Broke down and bought a heating pad today.  On the fresh ginger and tumeric myself, try with a cinnamon stick. 

I wanted to ask you, I think we are both about 5-6 months into this, I think that's correct.  Hey, do you have major swelling on your "deep freeze" arm? Mine starts at the back of my neck and my whole arm is about double the size of my working arm. Do you have this too?  Seems to be getting worse.  Always something new and fun every day! LOL

• Posted

Jen J,

You seem to be the only person  since looking at the frozen shoulder complaints that reports a swollen arm. This would indicate some pressure around the inner shoulder somewhere,  Very unusual I would think. My advice would be to see your Doc and suggest an xray of around the top of the lung area to see if anything if is being compressed.

• Posted

Oh no Jen , I do not have that , (and hopefully I won't get it😳), that really does need further investigation , I have read lots of different posts and that's a new one on me. I do hope you get that sorted.

Re the heat mat , funnily enough I was also researching these the other day as I do seem to get more comfort out of a hot water bottle than any thing else , so let me know how the pad works., I'm off to see my healing lady now , I have high hopes so watch this space.. Take care Jen

Cindy

• Posted

Good morning,

I called my MD and she is going to have me come in if the swelling doesn't go down in 24 hours. The Doc pulled me from my Physical Therepy. Frozen Stiff you may be on to something, the MD thought I might have torn something in PT trying to power through the scar tissue. Thank you so very much for your comment. Very on point. Hope you are feeliing ok today. Thank you again.

• Posted

Hi Cindy,

So far the heating pad has been quiete lovely. I bought one that allows the damp heat. That is honestly the only thing that relaxes this mess in my arm and back. Sounds like you are happy wiht your hot water bottle. Hopefully your healing lady helped today. 

Is your frozen arm very painful from the shoulder to the elbow too? I know you don't have the swelling, thank goodness, but is the pain intense for you too in that area?

• Posted

Hi Jen , I have never known a pain like it to be fair ... I explain it to the ' normal people, who look at me wandering what I am making such a fuss about ; as a constant 'toothache' in my shoulder that ; just to keep me on my toes decides to shoot down my arm, into my elbow and even into my fingers....I also experience pain in my arm pit that goes into my right breast ( occasionally).

Re the healing , I had LOTS of crystals placed all over me, and apparently by Chakras all all over the place !!! , and I need some 'me' time. I Am £30 lighter and still in pain, but I have rebooked for March as I'm willing to give it another go. In the mean time I'll carry on with the trusty hot water bottle ... What make is your heat pad Jen ?

Take care Cindy

• Posted

Hi Cindy,

Hope you are feeling ok today. Sorry for the delay.  I am in the States, but the heating pad is called: Kaz USA Heat Moist or Dry.  Seems to be helping  a little when the labor-like shoulder and arm spasams hit me. :-) Was pretty inexpensive for the light relief it's bringing me.

• Posted

Hi. I absolutely have swelling. I am 4 months into this and have had swelling since month 2. Swelling close to the bicep, behind the shoulder (above the shoulder blade, all the way up to my lower neck).

Dr. Suggested 15 min of ice and then for me to massage in aspercreme, Bengay, or something of the sort. He actually prescribed me a stronger type.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.