Stress and reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on ppi for about 8 years for a weak les muscle. Sometimes 60 but mostly around 30mg of lansoprazole. The doctors want be down to 30mg consistently but I struggle. Since this lockdown in the uk I'm trying to work from home with a 4 year old. I'm also worried about family and friends. Anyhow, I constantly feel like a burp is trapped in my throat and I'm belchy. I'm currently taking 1/4 of a 30mg lansoprazole in the morning and 30mg in the evening. I'm using peptac liquid twice a day too and a 75mg zantac before bed. I dont want to pester doctor's as I think they have enough on. Its probably all due to the stress. So does anyone have any advice?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

just a question, why are you still taking zantac? it has been recalled due to cancer causing ingredients. i would talk to your dr about switching medicine.

• Posted

I used to be on lansoprazole and it stops working after a while. Ask if you can change to esomeprazole, it works so much better but because lansoprazole is much cheaper it is always prescribed first. You can buy esomeprazole over the counter under the brand name Nexium but it is much more expensive. You can make telephone appointments with your dr and get your prescriptions sent to your door if you aren't able to leave the house. In my opinion 20mg of esomeprazole works better than 60 mg of lansoprazole. I am surprised you can get hold of zantac, I haven't been able to for quite some time. If you are buying it online, it probably isn't genuine and may have dodgy ingredients, so be careful.

• Edited

Hi Gary living with acid reflux is hell. I think i have Lpr causing throat burn still not officially diagnosed. I am waiting due to lockdown in UK as well. I am trying following. I have given up all the culprits and now trying alkaline diet. i have raised the head of my bed. I am taking probiotics and digestive enzymes. I dont eat 3 hours before bed strictly. I am taking gaviscon advance as ppi have alot of side effects for me. Only eat home cooked food and give up smoking and alcohol. I need to start trying breathing exercises for weaker LES as there are some. I hope and pray you feel better soon as caring for children with this issue makes it very hard.good luck x

• Posted

Hi Gary please google and you will find quite a few there. Basically its about breathing through your abdomen and using your diaphragm etc. Some researchers believe it can strengthen your LES and upper sphincter.

• Posted

Hi. I did find the ranitidine on Ebay from a seller with a lot of good reviews. I'll stop taking them.

I'll phone the doctor to try and change drug. I've tried a few times already but they say it shouldn't make any difference

• Edited

Hey @gary35 I just wanted to say I empathise with you and you're not alone. I've been struggling with stomach/reflux-related issues for 4 years now I've tried every ...prazole there is as well as Ranitadine and Peptac. Currently on PPIs and Gaviscon Advance while trying triple therapy for eradication of H.Pylori.

I too have 2 young kids and it's so hard dealing with is and wanting to play/spend time with them when you can't be fully present.

I'm on a whole food plant based diet now and figure if I'm at least eating healthy then it can't be doing me more harm.

Couple of questions for you all on here:

What age are you? I'm in my 30s, just wondering if most of you are older?

Are any of you overweight, healthy weight or underweight and how are you dealing with it?

Thanks guys and hoping for the beat for you all, keep fighting!

• Posted

Hi mate

Thanks for replying. I'm 42 now but have had it for about 10 years. I'm 5ft 11 and just over 12.5 stone. I find it hard to exercise without making reflux worse. What sort of stuff are you eating?

• Posted

Hey mate sorry I didn't get an email saying you'd replied. I just eat a plant-based diet, no animal products. I try to stay away from wheat/gluten as much as possible. Been psyching my self up to do an elimination diet to see if there's any food triggers I've missed.

I'm the same with exercise bud, it's hard ai know. I'm 37, 5' 10" and down to around 10 stone from 11.5 a few years ago. Mostly from diet change and probably the stress of it all.

What about you?

Do you know of any Facebook groups or forums for people dealing with this to chat and have some sort of community? Would be great. Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.