Stress and thyroid problems

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all I recently had a massive stress episode (4 months worth) and lost 16kg

from my 68kg weight. I was in tears all the time and really thought I was

going mad or having a midlife crisis. I eventually went to my GP (2weeks ago)

and had blood tests done.... hyperthyroid (though to me it was only slightly

raised at 19.1 [reference range upper limit was 19] and a TSH of 1.33 which

was in normal limits), my usual pulse and bp prior to this had been pulse in

the 60's and bp always low aroud 90/50, my pulse in doctors office was 125

and I fealt like my whole body was rocking with a bp of 138/100! Panic on

top of panic. I really fealt terrible totally not like my usual self my mind was

on overdrive and was torturing me (I also had a raised tumour marker which

was my minds instrument of torture). I was put on carbimazole initially 5mg

three times a day but increased to 10mg morning 5mg midday and 10mg at

night. I am a senior registered nurse in a nurse led clinic and I am trained in

first line emergency care so my job can be quite stressful. My two week blood

tests yesterday showed a free T4 of 17.1 pmol/L, free T3 of 5 pmol/L and a

TSH of 0.06 (Reference range 0.35 - 4 point something). I haven't had anti-

bodies done yet and my GP is managing me at the moment but I was

wondering if there is a chance that the stress caused my thyroid problem or if

my thyroid caused the stress response (classic chicken and egg problem lol).

On days of little to no stress I feel okay not perfect but better but even things

like taking a shower leave me needing to rest and emotional stress gives me

nausea so I can't eat and get dreadful hunger pains. Just interested if others

had a major stress episode (physical or emotional) prior to diagnosis and if

stress came months before diagnosis.

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jenifer,

My story pretty much mirrors yours in stressful episodes and TSH, T3 and T4 readings.  I feel reasonably  comfortable in telling you that you should research supplements and vitamins for our condition.  I refused the meds and went straight to supplements.  I had a drs visit this week and my readings for all 3 were normal.  I just was not able to take the meds after I read the side effects.  I wish you luck and glad you came to this site.  It been a great help to me since I really wasn't aware of hyperthyroidism before I got it.  Good luck and take care.  I know it's easier said than done. Jeanne

• Posted

Hi Jeanne, my Vitamin D and magnesium were normal at diagnosis but I am going to ask my GP to do cartanine (sp?) As many people seem to respond well to that. So far I don't think I am having side effects but I have only been on it for 2 1/2 weeks. And yes even as a nurse I had little knowledge of hyperthyroidism prior to diagnosis. I will certainly look into suppliments as I too would prefer to go natural if possible. I am hoping my thyroid will reset itself as yours would seem to have done. Thanks for the reply and well wishes and good luck to you too. Jeni

• Posted

Hi All!!  Finding this forum has been a god send!  My heart goes out to each & everyone in this discussion!  I felt like I've been losing my mind for about a year now and even after seeing an endocrinologist three days ago I still do not have a difinitive diagnosis. I wish I found this forum before going so I could request antibodies test. 

Supposedly ive been treated for hypothyroidism for past appr 6 years and now seems I'm hyperthyroid yet I just got my numbers and my T3 is 2.9, T4 is 1.4 and Tsh total is 0.40 which is in "normal" range!!  This is NOT normal!!  I am a totally different person than what I used to be. I'm emotional, moody, nervous, headache, gaining weight for no reason... have felt like I'm dying!  No one understands the frustration all of us are or have felt!!  I've researched so much I feel it's taken my life over but finding this forum has given me hope!!  Thanks to all of you for sharing your story!

• Posted

Hi Gina, my understanding of this problem is that even though your numbers fall within normal your TSH is on the low side of normal which could mean you're heading hyper and with your symptoms that may be the cause. I am not a doctor but if your symptoms are escalating I would ask your doc to investigate (bearing in mind I know nothing of your history, but I believe Hashimoto's hypothyroid can flip to hyperthyroidism in about 5% of cases so it's definitly worth finding out what is going on). From what I have read here suppliments may help you, but I am sure others will have a better idea. Good luck and take care

• Posted

Thank you Jenifer so much for responding!  It does seem that supplements seem to be most effective. I am going to insist my doc run antibodies test to know for sure!  

Does anyone know if hyperthyroidism is treated medically the same as hashimotos disease ?

my best & good luck & good health to all!

• Posted

Doctors tend to treat the symptoms, hence for Hashimoto's, some patients present initially with hyperthyroidism and when they are treated with the thyroid blocking drugs (i.e. Carbimazole, Methimazole, PTU), they quickly go HYPOthyroid.  Then docs give them thyroid hormone replacement and they go hyper again.  Hashimoto's is much more sensitive than Graves because even though it is also an autoimmune disease like Graves, the antibodies attack the thyroid directly rather than attacking the TSH receptors in the pituitary gland as in the case of Graves.  Because of this, Hashimoto patients are far more sensitive to medical treatments and from what I have seen with Hashi patients that posted to this Board, especially one lady in particular who posted to this Board, she got far better results using just Regular L-Carnitine and other supplements.  This stabilized her values and she didn't bounce from high to low and back again.  Some patients can have both Graves and Hashimoto's disease at the same time. 

• Posted

Hi everyone, my blood results after 4 weeks of carbimazole are heading in the right direction. My T4 is now well within normal limits at 14.5 (range is 9 -19) and my TSH has tripled to 0.19 (range 0.4 - 4) my antibodies aren't through yet but my GP is an amazing doctor and he thinks they will probably be normal. In one week I will start being weaned off my carbimazole, yay. I have found that if I eat frequently I felt better and researched foods high in carnitine and tried to eat them so that may be why food helped. In hindsite I think I have had episodes like this before but never this severe, they were always preceded by stress episodes. I will post when I know my antibody status but this is the most positive I have felt in ages. Thanks to everyone who has been there with support, advice and good wishes for me and I hope and pray that you all find balance both in your thyroids and your lives.

• Posted

Stay focused ... stay alert....( but not anxious )

... and stay well Luvvie ...

Isn't it great to be on the mend

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Thank you and yes.

The people here are all so supportive, it is wonderful to see.

Take care and all the best

Jeni 🌺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.