stress fracture?

Posted , 2 users are following.

So, I am a three sport athlete (soccer, basketball, and track in high school) and currently play soccer and basketball for my college. I figured that everyone on here would have a lot of experience with these issues... anyways...

I recently (unexpectedly) started playing basketball again after about a month of being relatively inactive as I recovered from my soccer season. About a week and a half into the season (about a month ago) I developed pain on the top of my foot, about midfoot, on the more medial aspect of my foot. Every time I rise up onto my toes I can feel a deep, sharp pain. It hurts to walk (pushing off, not when my foot hits the ground), especially after practices or games where I ran a lot, and sometimes I can feel it while I am playing (other times I think the adrenaline kind of masks the pain). It doesn't really hurt that much to press on my foot, and it doesn't seem more swollen than the other foot. When I stand on my toes with all my weight on my right leg, my foot hurts the most then. It has been hurting for about a month now and shows no signs of getting better. It hurts sometimes when I am walking, and sometimes it kind of "burns" when I am just laying in bed or sitting down. The pain is not unbearable by any means, but sometimes is extremely uncomfortable, and I have a very high pain tolerance.

So, basically what I'm wondering is if this sounds like it could be a stress fracture or what it could be instead. Thank you ahead of time for any help/insight you may have!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sounds like it might be seismoditis. I would have it checked for that - rest, ice, sometimes metatarsal pads help. It is extremely painful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.