Stress....how do you manage?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am under the understanding that stress compounds DD. How do you manage your stress?

Right now my uncle is dying, my family doctor is insisting I come off a medicine that I have been on for 30+ years that has horrible withdrawl, my surgeon is trying to bully me into having surgery, my sister is fighting over money our Dad left us when he died last year and my insides are tied in knots from all of this in addition to all the stress and anxiety a flare up brings. I am having several panic attacks a day/night.

Sorry just needed to vent.

And how do you guys manage your stress?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately in this world working a fast paced, underpaid job doing the work of 3 full time employees did me in. Listen to your surgeon because each time you have an attack it damages your colon. Don't wait too long and get a 2nd opinion  because this disease is dangerous and not to live with like others say. 

• Posted

I get my second opinion June 5 if I go ahead surgery would be 6-8 wekks later.
  • Posted

Easier said than done, I find yoga helps or going for walks.[u], or just visiting with a good friend[/u] Can the Dr not wean you of the drugs slowly. I am putting of surgery although a friend recently had the surgery and is doing fine
    • Posted

Thanks for the help. It is good to hear from other people.
  • Posted

Hello, sorry you are under all that stress.  I too have had alot of stress in my life, especially recently. 

I had been on medication for stress and anxiety however I wanted to get off of those pills so I found 3 things that have helped me alot.

1. Mediatation

2. Tai Chi

3. Yoga

It won't happen overnight however if stick with it once or twice a day you will find that you can control your feelings much better.  Stress will always be there, but you can minimize it by doing these 3 things.

I wish you the best.

Sig.

• Posted

When I was diagnosed in Feb 2018 I also developed anxiety/panic attacks, was on so many diff meds that made me worse, I’m now just on Xanax and was finally recovering by changing my eating and lifestyle, I do meditation, mindfulness, yoga, walking and breathing exercise, this takes lots of practice and I try to use it daily, so I can control the anxiety and panic due to the stress of living with this disease . So hope to wean off Xanax soon. Best of luck to you
  • Posted

Sorry that you are going thru difficult times. I found an interesting and hopefully helpful study done by UCLA. 

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/diverticulitis-patients-reveal-psychological-and-physical-symptoms-long-after-acute-attacks

• Posted

Thank you Willfrank. Although I did not have an acute attack I believe mine is smoldering as its never really gone away 100% in the 15 months I have been diagnosed and has led to 4 to 6 flareups.

Julie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.