Stress IBS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have been diagnosed with IBS and would like to share my symptoms to see if anyone else has the same and how do they cope.

I think my IBS is bought on by stress. I know if i have an important meeting or am travelling with work i get bouts on diarrhoea and my stomach swells and cramps. I know it is stress because once i have the meeting or arrive after travelling the symptoms miraculously disappear. Over the years this has got worse with even a visit to the hospital brings on a flare up. Think i worry to much that i will get a flare up so it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

I have heard that maybe you can get a small dose of an anti depressant and this may help.

Does anyone have experience with the same symptoms and how do you control this as it is beginning to take over my life.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My IBS started because of stress but I find if I avoid the stressful situation, I stay in remission. Antispasmodics and painkillers deal with pain and imodium helps with diarrhoea. I stay away from anti depressants even at a low dose because they can take too long to work and can be very toxic. Antispasmodics work quicker for me with no side effects. However, everyone is different.

• Posted

Thanks Pippa

I am going to try Imodium IBS relief . I already take Mebeverine but they don't seem to do anything, someone said i should try pepermimt oil so will try that also.

• Posted

I tried Mebeverine which didn't agree with me and gave me no benefits. I tried peppermint tea also which gave me heartburn. Apparently, if you have acid reflux, it can make your heartburn worse. However, everyone is different. Buscopan works for me.

• Posted

Hi Ron,here is a story which you might like to hear.I use to take for my panic attacks and anxiety and depression 40 mgs of citrolopram for 10 years.However i decided to come off my medication and after 1 week i had ibs,so after having a conversation and also knowing that ibs can be caused my anxiety ,i asked my doctor to prescribe citrolopram ,but only 20 mgs ,1/2 weeks later i had managed to control my ibs .Please note that if you go this way to clear your ibs ,then you have to know that this way may not work for you and also you will get side effects for 6/8 weeks

• Posted

hi ron i have the exact same symptoms as you and for the same reasons-stress due to work meetings. i even avoid doing certain things now like going to the cinema etc. last week i visited my doctor and told him i know that my IBS symptoms (diarrhoea) is brought on partially due to stress and its all psychological. He sent me to the mental health nurse who has prescribed me anti anxiety tablets to help.

• Posted

Hey Ron, I am suffering from IBS mainly constipation type and also gets aggravated by stress.

My physician had prescribed me sertralin ( anti depressant) with usual IBS medication.

After that I tried to control my anxiety through yoga and meditation.

And once I realized after 1 and half years of starting those medication that with yoga and meditation I can control my anxiety, Then I started weaning off from sertralin.

I would suggest if your symptoms are only and only due to stress, You should start doing yoga, Breathing exercises ( which is very effective in controlling anxiety) and meditation.

It is okay to take anti depressants but it is hard to come out of that, So if it isn't absolute necessary you should avoid those and try natural techniques to control your anxiety.

Also take care of your body's vitamins level, As low levels of many of those gives you irritation and anxiety and aggravate the symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.