stress incontinence & TVT

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a tension free vaginal tape fitted (TVT) almost three weeks ago and it has completely cured the problem.

The procedure was carried out under epidural (because I'm a smoker) - some discomfort afterwards but was only in hospital for one night.

I took seven working days off work afterwards and now feel terrific. There are still the ends (stubs) of some stitches sticking out of the skin just above the pubic bone, but they are not a problem and are disappearing gradually.

I was told the op has a 90% success rate - it certainly worked very well for me.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just to give another side to the TVT. I had this in April 2009, it was not a success. I am now back where I was. I still leak, so have to wear panty liners or pads all the time. Having had the op on a Thursday, I was kept in overnight and sent home on Friday with a catheter fitted, for which two different reasons have been given! I was back on the Monday, had the catheter removed and told to drink a jug of water, then I could go home when I had successfully been to the toilet.

I started to feel the urge, so went to the toilet and nothing happened. This went on for some time, but no matter what I did I was not able to pass urine. It became very uncomfortable, but there had been no instructions and there were no doctors around to do anything about it.

It is very uncomforatable when you want to go tothe toilet, have a full bladder, but cannot go. Eventually, some 2 1/2 hours later, they re-fitted catheter. I then saw a continence nurse, who explained that my bladder had reacted badly and did not know what to do, so it shut down.

I then had to self-catheterize when I wanted to go to the toilet, to get the bladder used to working again. When I could finally urinate naturally (about 9 months before I finished self-cathetising) I then had an overactive bladder, so would have accidents if I did not get to a loo in time, which meant within a minute or two of feeling the urge. Ths could be very embarrassing and has happened in the supermarket, the office and a cemetery.

I have always had weak pelvic muscles and despite regularly exercising them, I am still not fully recovered and need to get to a toilet pretty quickly as well as going more regularly than most people I know.

I had many visits to the hospital to see the specilist and the continence nurse, who did seem to know what she was talking about. The hospital had started to have the continence nurse invovled in these clinics, but not when I went unfortunately.

I would suggest you think very hard before having the TVT. I was told 70-80% success rate, but as the only other two ops I had ever had in my life were both successful - sinus surgery and a hysterectomy - and various tests were done I had not really considered it not working. And thought that if it didn't work I would just still have leakage. I certainly did not expect these problems.

Good luck to all those who it has worked for, but you need to be prepared for what might happen if it does not work.

• Posted

I had the TVT sling December 2013 and by what a mistake.  I feel like it is cutting me in side and it hurts to sit down properly.  my marriage is on the line as sex is a big no go.  It hurts so much I cry.  I am so many tablets it's unbelievable and to top it all of my urge inconinence has got 100% worse were i may need Botox which petrifies me.  
    • Posted

Hi Claire

so sorry that you are having these problems - they sound much worse than mine. 

it sounds as if you are on the case. i would have suggested you had it removed but i think that has to happen in the first 2-3 months which has now gone.  

Don't let them get away with anything.  And as for your sex life - there are ways without penetration so explore and buy a sex manual if you have to.

I do hope things improve for you. 

• Posted

Thank you Sharon for your advice, but I have the other way and he spoke right threw it so I got up brushed my teeth and felt used. So went down stairs crying over a cup of coffee.  He didn't even come down stairs to talk about it.  So won't be doing that again. 

I don't know time line on taking sling out she is doing a cystoscopy and EUA to check make sure the sling is ok and is were it should be.  But is scared to do it as last surgery caused sacroiliac joint problems.  Just sick of it all now and wish for it all to be over and back to normal. But life was made for triers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.