Stress incontinence need advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone I have an appointment to see my consultant Wednesday this week coming . I know she is going to ask if I want more injections in my bladder or the big operation to stich the bladder up a bit anyone give me any advice what to do? Thanks..

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deborah,  I assume the operation you are talking about is the Burch Colposuspension?  I had it done 2 years ago and it had changed my life for the better.  I can thoroughly recommend it. Happy to answer any questions you may have. 

Mary

• Posted

Hi Mary thank you for you swift reply.. yes I am talking about the colposuspension operation. How long was your recovery and did you have any complications? X
    • Posted

I was in hospital for 5 days because they made a slight tear in my bladder during the op which had to mend before I could go home. It’s major surgery and you do have discomfort for a while afterwards. I never had any difficulty emptying my bladder afterwards and there has been no change to my sex life.   These are the things most women worry about. 

It takes 3 months for a full recovery. You can drive and return to work after 6 weeks but definitely no lifting or you run the risk of ruining the whole procedure.   It’s frustrating but worth it for the outcome which, in my case, has been wonderful.  Before the op I couldn’t even walk far without leaking but now I can do whatever I like.  x

• Posted

Thank you I'll do a little more reseach... but thanks so much Mary. ..

Debbie x

• Posted

Hi,Deborah.

Im going in nxt Weds for surgery.The Colposuspension.Ive no other option now,had the bulking agent twice & only lasted a wk each time.So this was a big dissision to make.But ive been bad at leaking for 8mths now.I had to av aump removed out of my urethra tube in Sept.Had a catheter in 17days then whe removed it was like a tap turned on.Was going through 7 pads a day im not just has bad now gojng through 3.I just want my life back.Not been able to do or go anywhere for 8mths.Then after opp you haven't to do NOTHING for 2mths.But takes a full 3mths to heal completely. Im certainly not looking forward to it at all. So ive been prepin meals for freezer, we av a farm so dont no how hubby going to cope with me.lol But you have to manage.Hope all goes well with you 2. Janet.We'l be able to compare our wks of how we feeling.

• Posted

Hi Janet

Thanks for answering me. Maybe when your well enough you can let me know how it went.

Good lUckfield take care x

• Posted

Hi Janet, good luck with your operation. I'm in West Australia and booked in for colosuspension in 5 week's time. Need 2 surgeons as i had complications with previous abdominal surgery. My urogynocologist for the actual op and plastic surgeon to open and close the abdominal muscles. Like you not looking forward to recovery phase and will be cooking a whole heap of frozen meals etc beforehand.

Once again good luck with your surgery 💜

• Posted

Deborah,

I am curious as to how the bladder injections worked?  Did you have Botox injections? Did you end up having to catheter yourself?

thank you!  Karol

• Posted

No didn't have to have a catheter after but gave me no relief... procedure wasn't bad though. X

• Posted

I've had this problem now for 2 years... I've only had 1 lot of botox injections and seeing consultant this week so need to make up my mind more injections that possibly won't work then have to wait another 6 months just to talk to the consultant so she can refer me for the operation.. I think I've made up my mind not just to go straight for the op now..

Debbie x

• Posted

Good luck Debbie....I hope you get some relief.  i will have you in my thoghts and please keep me posted :-)  Karol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.