Stress leading to Anxiety & Attacks leading to fear of FLYING

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, for the past 3 or so days I have this constant fear and panic feeling I get whenever I have to imagine going on this trip back home and coming back again. I have to take this trip because I need to drop my things off before residing there permanently. like about 1 week ago I was still ok but now I continuously feel stressed out and like crying whenever I think I have to get on a plane. 

This fear I do not think has anything to do with the fear of the sirplane falling but has something to do with me fearing what will become of me if I have a panic attack in the plane, a small space where I cannot move or get up or get out of the plane. I would be stuk in there and I feel like I will hyperventilate feel dizzy and cannot breathe and might passout. I fear that I might vomit or breakdown crying there or go nuts. 

I keep getting worked up thinking about these things even though I haven't bought the ticket yet. My legs feel weak, I get dizzy when I walk and there is is feeling of panic or something in my throat, like at any moment I can start crying from all this anxiety bearing down on me.

These thoughts keep plaguing me day and night. I keep thinking about this all day and all night. 

I need help and advice on how to stop them and this terrible things I feel so I can get some peace of mind and rest. So that my body doesn't seem constanly on edge. Please help.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

what about considering hypnotherapy or medication prior to flying i think diazepam is good I know my friend is frightened of flying and she gets some off her doctor 

• Posted

Thank you for replying. Can you tell me more about diazepam. I have never taken any sort of medication for it before. How do I ask the general doctors in the hospital for it? 
    • Posted

I dont know a lot about diazapam my love its only because my friend takes it on flight trips and calms her down, but others on here may be able to help if you speak to your doctor they will be able to perscibe your dosage I believe one effect may be as a muscle relaxant but im not a hundred per cent. hopefully  you will get sorted 
  • Posted

I agree with Sue. A few diazepam or similar wont get you addicted and will calm you down on the plane. Even my doctor takes anti anxiety pills when flying. Also maybe when you check in explain you aren't well see if you can get a row to yourself. I told an airline I was ill once, got on and had 3 seats to myself to stretch out and relax x
    • Posted

Is this the type of medication you can just go to your general doctor at a clinic to ask for? How effective is it? Like, does it work fast and how does it make you feel?

I curious because I have never taken those kinds of meds before.

• Posted

Its hard to say how you would react. I've been taking them long term which I don't advise but your doctor would be fine with 5 or so to get you through. They take about 30 min to kick in and just relax you and take away the tightness in the chest. They could put you to sleep so you may only need half and probably best to try one few days before your trip ti see how you personally react. Your GP may have something better but I'm sure you would have no problem asking for a very small amount just for this x
  • Posted

How far do you have to fly?
    • Posted

About 2 hours, which I kbow is a short time and I kinda feel ridiculous for worrying over this but I am.
    • Posted

Its not ridiculous its an upheaval and scary. Make sure your doc knows its just a short flight si can prescribe short acting med. You don't want to get to the other end passed out !
  • Posted

Diazepam is an anti-anxiety medication which you can get from your regular doctor.

There are lots of meds whiich help with fear, so go and discuss this with your doctor and they will prescribe what they consider is the most suitable for you.

Hope this helps love Tess

• Posted

Thanks for the information, I will try and approach a regular doctor and ask the doctor for it. Hopefully it works for me without side effects.
    • Posted

And if it makes you feel any better, my sister's husband got a small quantity of anti-anxiety meds from their doctor before he flew, and he said afterwards that they'd really helped. He certainly didn't get addicted, so I really don't think you need to worry about that. Doctors nowadays are (usually) very careful regarding the amount of anti-anxiety meds they prescribe. I am absolutely sure that your doc will give you just enough to get you through the fear - although as these meds cause drowsiness, you may find the flight attendant having to wake you up when the plane has landed lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.