Stressed about my slow healing ankle

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I had surgery on 1/27/2018 and screws and plates were attached to my bones.My problem is, my pain level has subsided but not swelling. I also feel an awarkard sensation in my foot. Has anyone experienced a cold sensation in their foot?When I walk using my crutches or while sitting my foot swells badly. I am aware that I must follow protocol and elevate my feet, but there are times I can't elevate my foot because I have to run errands. Any tips what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Welcome to the weird, wacky world of ankle injuries. As many patients can attest, ankle recovery can and often is a bumpy ride. So buckle up.

Except for the mildest of ankle injuries, patients with fractured and sprained ankles often encounters bizarre symptoms, experience some improvement and then a retracement of your progress, plus the usual swelling and pain.

Fractured bones are usually compliant and don't cause a lot of problems once they have mended (4-8 weeks on average). As I have stressed repeatedly, it is the soft connective tissue that is the culprit-- tendons, ligaments, muscles, nerves, joint capsules, etc. often take a severe beating in an ankle injury. They can be recalcitrant in recovery.

There is a lot you can do to help ensure a safe, successful recovery (to various recovery levels and even back to your remembered ankle health pre-injury). These have been talked about repeatedly on this forum, and include physiotherapy, special exercises, and diet. Remember, you in charge of your health and recovery, not your doctor, or your family, or cruel fate.

Good luck.

• Posted

Sounds completely normal to me. I'm 4 weeks ahead of you (my injury and surgery were 1/2) and the foot still feels weird sometimes-pins and needles, feels weird. The nerves have to wake up and that takes a long time. The swelling still happens at 6,7 weeks but its much more rare for me now at 8 weeks. 

?You're still pretty early on yet-just a few more weeks and you'll feel a lot more normal. I'm so happy now to take my boot off to do my exercises or go to bed and see a normal appearing foot instead of a puffy one. Hang in there. Sounds normal to me but you should nemtion any concerns on your next followup appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.