Stressed, depressed, and suffering from recurring shingles

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello Everyone.  My name is Tonja.  I'm 43 years old, live in the States, and had my first bout of shingles on my upper left thigh (where I still have a scar) in my late twenties.  At the time, I was in graduate school and under a lot of stress.  Initially, though,  I thought a spider had bit me.  After a few days, I went to the doctor, who was totally perplexed; since the lesions had subsided and blistered over, he thought it may have been a spider bite as well.  When the second outbreak occurred, I realized I had shingles.  I told my doctor about my self diagnosis and made sure to get in to see him at the onset of the outbreak.  I went several years without an outbreak until I was in an abusive marriage; by then, I was getting them every three months.  Though I am no longer in that terrible marriage, my mother is sick and I am several hundred miles away and trying to permanently relocate to help take care of her--all of which has been quite stressful.  To combat them, my new doctor prescribed antibiotics, Gabapentin, an antiviral (acyclovir I think), and a topical ointment. All of that medicine had me groggy, and I didn't know if I was coming or going; however, I healed fast.  I have also suffered from severe insomnia  since the beginning of my awful marriage until now, so I take medication for that. Otherwise, I am healthy.  Although my insurance would not cover the vaccine due to my age, I got it anyway and paid out of pocket.  I have since had outbreaks (currently having one), but they are not as painful post vaccine.  I still feel very tired and have headaches during outbreaks, but I push through because I have to go to work.  I will resume yoga, change my diet a little (I eat healthfully already), get more rest, and maybe get on an antiviral--though I don't want to take them for the rest of my life.  Perhaps the new vaccine will be more effective.

I'm baffled by the lack of understanding, empathy, and treatment options, so this forum is really invaluable! Thank you!!!

I'm so sorry that so many others have suffered/continue to suffer through shingles. My thoughts, well wishes, and prayers are with you all!

Tonja

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Read your post and wanted to share something that has really help me. I'm 36 and got my first shingles outbreak at about 22. Stress seems to bring it on and I get stressed over a lot of things so it's like every 3 to 6 months I feel I get a shingles outbreak. At first achy feel really tired And so on. I take lysine B 12 sublingual and vitamin C I do not take the vaccine nor have I taken the medication. These supplements have help me every time. I just recently went and got a massage a couple days ago and had an outbreak from the deep tissue massage and am taking my supplements and they help so much.

• Posted

Thanks Adrianab! I take a multivitamin with B12 and vitamin C, but I will try the lysine B12 sublingual and vitamin C as separate supplements and see how those work.

Stress is definitely the trigger, but for most of us it seems unavoidable.

Take care,

Tonja

• Posted

I have just posted a discussion about my recurrent shingles and after reading your post, I wonder if my massage caused an outbreak?! However, this is episode 4 and have not had massages before any of the other outbreaks. I hadn't had a massage for well over a year before this one, so I highly doubt it. I hope it's not a trigger, I love massages and used to get them regularly to help with my muscle aches and pains and dodgy hips. I'm almost 27 and had my first outbreak last year. So fed up now x

• Posted

I've had 3 deep tissue massages since being diagnosed and each time I get the shooting pain straight through my chest followed by itchy and a rash. I'm just scared to go get them nowsad don't want to take any chances because I get so tired and feel miserable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.