Stressed out that my Gilbert’s is something more sinister.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Diagnosed with GS 2 years ago. Blood tests after i'd visited the docs complaining of severe fatigue.

Like with many others the Doctor basically shrugged it off, told me to rest well, eat well and all would be fine.

Numerous visits later and I'm stuck in a rut. Wake up every day feeling exhausted, I genuinely can't remember a day when my fatigue hasnt been the first thought on my mind when i wake up and the last at night.

All day inbetween worrying that its cancer or some other horrible thing.

Can't go on being so tired. NOTHING seems to help me.

Tried various supplements and I do eat well. Limited alcohol also to no avail.

Tearing my hair out but so glad I found this site. It helps hearing I'm not alone.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your problem. Have a read of all the comments here, hope they are reassuring. There are things you can do.

I would suggest you look up a "care for your liver book" because thats essentially what GS is, a liver issue. Personally I found spices set me off, E.g. my favorite cinnamon! Grrrr

Good luck to you and try not to despair!

• Posted

Some tick borne diseases can make you extremely tired ,test for all those , lyme and others.

What's you bilirubin level ? My GS level is 1.7 after eating , and 2.2 on an empty stomach . US tests.

I never had an issue as most of those diagnosed with GS.

As Leeds said ,work on your liver , apple cider vinegar and milk thistle have a reputation to cleanse and improve the liver.

My favorite is activated charcoal ,it cleans and detoxifies the digestive system and helps absorb toxines that the liver and gallbladder release with the bile for digestion , when the charcoal absorb them they cannot reenter the body and go irritate the liver again.

I take charcoal 2-3 times x week (1 hour away from medicines and supplements !) Otherwise they will be absorbed too

• Posted

Be careful with milk thistle as it boost liver phase 1 when GS is an issue with phase 2. Or am I wrong?

• Posted

Actualy it is no so simple. So many genes, transferases...

...get lost.

"In vitro, silymarin and silibinin also inhibit uridine diphosphoglucuronosyl transferase (UGT), the major phase 2 enzyme that is responsible for glucuronidation (6450, 7089, 7318)"

• Posted

ive been prescribed Amitriptyline to aid sleep. Does anyone know how the liver will react to this medication?

Thanks

• Posted

No worries Alan. when I found out at age 60+ , when I read the stuff on this site, it was a lightbulb moment. esp the fogginess, the tiredness, etc. At least you have a diagnosis so can sort things out as far as you can!

GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

I would be interested in your amitryp experience. When I had that once it didnt help me sleep and it caused me to have bad dreams! Let us know!

• Posted

Was prescribed it last year during a difficult spell and it did help me sleep.

Felt quite drowsy in the morning though.

Was thinking about its interaction with the liver and wondering if anyone knew.

Thanks Leeds6

• Posted

Re your drug. Sorry,cant help but would suggest you look it up ONLINE for sideeffects, contraindications etc. There should some stuff which might help! livers, whod have one!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.