Stretching whilst in cast, how can I stop it?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I fractured my left ankle about 6 weeks ago, had an open cast on for about 2 weeks and a proper one nwb for the rest of the time.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that first thing in the morning I wake up to my leg trying it's best to stretch whilst in the cast. I am worried that I may be doing some damage to the ankle. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks

Lolly 😃

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I also had an irresistable need to stretch in the morning after surgery about 4 months ago. My surgery was for torn ligaments and tendons and chipped cartilage. The stretching was painful but I don't think it caused any injuries. I don't experience it as much now.

• Posted

Thanks for you r reply.

Was this whilst in a cast? I am really worried that I am damaging something in my ankle whatever I do.

• Posted

It was while I was in a boot, but the doctor said I didn't have to wear the boot all the time if I was very careful not to injure the ankle again. I'm not sure my experience is directly comparable to yours because I had a different injury. I just wanted to let you know that I also had an irresistable urge to stretch in the morning. Have you asked your surgeon?

• Posted

Thanks, I guessed as much.

I am due to go back to hospital on Monday- intend to ask then.

• Posted

no damage stretching in cast at all. I did it all the time, to the extent you can actually stretch in a cast. I'm 7 months out, you will be fine. 😃

• Posted

Thanks for the reassurance. I was getting really worried. 😃

• Posted

Hi im couple of weeks ahead of you fractures ankle and tibia. Im the same my.leg stretches itself in the morning too. Im out of cast now and had xray and all on track so stretching does'nt seem to harm anything

• Posted

Thanks for the reassurance. I hope that my cast comes off on Monday though- I am fed up of it! Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.